Menu

kids cracking their neck and back

Is this normal? I don't crack anything and I only had one family member I can think of who would always crack her knuckles. My girls are constantly doing this. My oldest has tourettes so I know she carries a lot of tension and she seems find relief from doing it. Now my little one has hurt her neck, and she is always rolling her head to crack her neck. The Dr. thinks she just needs time to heal with lots of massage. I'm starting to get sad about the whole thing because my two little girls are popping and cracking all day, it's starting to get to me. Did any of you do this as a kid, do you still crack your neck, back or other parts everyday? Do you have kids that do this?

It doesn't help that my husband has injured his back this month. I'm feeling overwhelmed with worry about everyones pain in the house. My lupus, his back, 10yo's tourettes pain, 7yo's constant neck pain. When it rain it pours.

Can you give yourself a hug on the computer? :grouphug:

aahhh I needed that :001_smile:

I can crack about every joint...including my jaw. I have joint issues...pain, stiffness. I started cracking when I was a child. I don't recommend it. However, I also carry a lot of tension and it does relieve both that and the pain/stiffness. Massage therapy is wonderful for me, just can't afford it right now. To save money, find a student. Student of massage therapy have to logged so many hours for certification and will generally offer an hour for less than the going rate.

I pop quite a bit, but my dd who is a competitive gymnast sounds like a bowl of rice crispies! She pops everything, back and neck are favorites. I would say hundreds of pops a day are normal for her. It was starting to freak me out a bit until she had a sleep over for her birthday last spring and I had 5 gymnasts in my house at once. They all sounded just like her!!

I was a gymnast too. I don't know if having all your joints stretched to inhuman positions all the time makes them pop more or not, but anecdotal evidence at my house makes it seem that way :001_huh:

I call middle ds popcorn boy. I swear he cracks every joint in his body. When he twists his back, it cracks all the way from top to bottom. I used to crack my back, but it never sounded like middle ds. It doesn't concern me. It sounds like it feels good. Sometimes I wish I could crack my back like that!

Mandy

I call middle ds popcorn boy. I swear he cracks every joint in his body. When he twists his back, it cracks all the way from top to bottom. I used to crack my back, but it never sounded like middle ds. It doesn't concern me. It sounds like it feels good. Sometimes I wish I could crack my back like that!

Mandy

My older daughter is the same way. The noise alone is almost to much for me. It's such a harsh sound to me.

Luckily my girlfriend went to school for massage therapy, so everyone is getting worked on. It just seems like it would be bad for you to do it all the time from such a young age. I definitely hear both sides from people, it's ok/it's not ok. I think it really bothers me that they're in pain or discomfort when their so little, and it's hard to know how to help them.