Menu

Help with spelling

sillyrhino

My son is 6 and is reluctant to write. We're easing into the writing, because I know developmentally it will come, but I'm having a problem finding spelling programs that are not simply workbook pages. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good program? He is a fantastic reader, and I know he will get much of his spelling and vocabulary through his reading, but I wanted something to teach the rules etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'd invest in a bucket of letter tiles and a white board, and use them in whatever spelling workbook you already have. :) Foam bathtub letters or magnet letters would work too. I like the little tiles for laying right in the workbook.

I use A Reason For Spelling for my littles who are just starting spelling. It's a gentle program that's a great confidence builder. I skip the story and extra parts that have nothing to do with spelling. The first grade book does expect the kid to write all ten words 3-4 days out of the five, the lesson intro day has them write most of them twice. My little guy using the level A book right now is a bit quidgy when it comes to writing, but he's holding his own so far (he just started lesson 4). It's easy to adapt with tiles, whiteboard, etc. if he needs it though.

He's reading (and he loves it) at at least a 3rd or 4th grade level, and his comprehension and memory work has always been really good as well. Looking at the Spalding website, I don't know that that's appropriate. But thank you!

We are using WWE, as well as FLL. He likes both because they're tied to our reading.

All About Spelling is great. The tiles take a lot of the writing away. When it does have instructions to do writing I have a pan of sand that I have my reluctant writers write in. That way they are still writing, but they don't have to have quite as much motor control.

Heather.

Just have to put in another plug for AAS. My ds6 is much like yours...not quite there with the handwriting. We've been using The Phonics Road...which I love for him...but using the AAS tiles. He also loves the AAS lessons b/c they are "easy" for him. Combining both is working for us...but I think just AAS would be great for your ds6. Also, try some alternatives to pencil writing like using his finger to write in sand, using large side walk chalk and write on the driveway (we like to do spelling like that on nice days) or using a white board.

How would this work for a child who is reluctant to write?

It works just fine. :-) Sometimes dc are "reluctant" because they're not sure how to form the letters in the first place, and they have to come up with something to write. Spalding gives them specific instructions on letter formation, and they don't have to be creative. Also, you can adjust your teaching to the child's needs and abilities.

It works just fine. :-) Sometimes dc are "reluctant" because they're not sure how to form the letters in the first place, and they have to come up with something to write. Spalding gives them specific instructions on letter formation, and they don't have to be creative. Also, you can adjust your teaching to the child's needs and abilities.
Thanks! It was a sincere question (in case it seemed like veiled criticism, it wasn't!)

I keep thinking that WRTR might work for us... but it would be something else for me to learn. Ugh. I will stick with what we have for now. :)