Menu

Has anyone used Connecting With History?

VA6336

I have it, but haven't used it. There are a couple of things I'm confused about and have considered checking in w/the Catholic Well-Trained Mind group. For example, they suggest the Great Bible Adventure, but the dvds are like $400-600, so I'm assuming the audio tapes, which are about $30 (if I remember correctly) are the same. We're trying to wrap up SOTW 4 and then will revisit it then.

Sorry, I'm not much more help.

Laura

I own Volume 1, but I decided against using it. I like the concept, but the application was more time-consuming than I really am able to do this year, and I found the scheduling to be VERY uneven.

Which volume are you looking at using? If you have any specific questions about it, I (or someone else) might be able to help more.

That's great to know that there's a Yahoo group for CWH, I'll look for it tonight. I didn't know there was a Catholic WTM group, either. Where do I find it?

We just have volume 1, and it's my understanding that only volumes 1 & 2 are published so far. It definitely looks preparation-intensive! I don't intend to start using it until next fall with my what-will-be first grader and kindergartners.

For those of you that have looked at it, do you think the reading lists are enough? Do they cover what needs to be covered or am I going to find big holes?

I had bought it and planned to use it but didn't feel like it really had enough for my 1st grader. I think it would be better for older kids, or if you had several ages and were doing it as a family.

I'm using it as a resource to go along with SOTW 1, and when I get more time as the kids get older, I might use it to use some of the adult resources. It's true, though that the Great Bible Adventure stuff is quite pricey. Sometimes churches have it maybe you could borrow or go in with another family and share it.

I felt as though it was a great undertaking, I'm not thrilled with the outcome, but I'll use what I can from it for now.

I had goen through the Great Adventures Bible Study in our church and soon after read about CWH on these boards. I was so excited, because I loved the GA Bible Study and really, really wanted my kids to understand the Bible and history better.

It took time to sort through the CWH website to determine what was all needed and how it worked. Since we have the GA Bible Study at church, I know we could borrow it. They also have the teen study. I viewed one teen study video and wasn't real impressed-it went more quickly and the guy was really energized and geared his speaking to teens. I was looking at for my then 6th grader, too, and thought it not quite right for her yet. Anyhow, videos may be nice for the visual learner (although it's just the speaker talking to a group), I would think the audio tapes would be just fine.

Since I have not used CWH yet, I cannot comment on how good it is. From looking at it though, I can tell you this. I really feel it looks more like a Bible study than it does a world history program. Another mom, here, had it too and felt the same way. As a history program, neither of us felt it good enough to be a stand alone and planned on supplementing it with Mystery of History or SOTW again. She created a schedule with CWH and MOH I think. I can look at it for you.

CWH appears to really follow the Great Adventures Bible Study the way it's laid out. In one way it feels like it's exclusive of other cultures, yet a number of the scheduled books to be read deal with Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, Egypt, etc. SOTW, IF I remember correctly also covered ancient China, India, Central America, etc.

But, having not used CWH, yet, I can't give you an accurate review. Hopefully, reading the boards there, will help give you a better idea! HTH