Menu

Fun things to do near Dallas, TX?

My dh is taking our 13 yos for five days next month to visit dh's brother, who lives in McKinney, TX, which is a bit north of Dallas. I want to give them some fun ideas of things to do while they're there, so they do something besides play Guitar Hero while they're there. ;)

So, what would you recommend that's fun, and possibly educational, in the area?

Try visiting the movie studio in Las Colinas, if it's still there. They have a fun tour--low-key, but interesting.

Ft. Worth Zoo is good.

Fair Park in Dallas itself has several small, interesting museums practically within walking distance from each other. Don't know when the State Fair is, but it's worth going to--we really miss the Fair! It's in October, and school kids get a day off--it's huge, can be done either on the cheap or the expensive way, but so fun!

A friend will be HOME with her new BABY from Russia by then, so that is what i would be doing. Helping her out!!

Oh wait, not what you had in mind huh? (I just found out in the last hour they got the green light on the last piece of paper).

She normally has a TON of places she drags people around too, always sounds fun. I'm sure some locals will pipe up, otherwise i'll see if can dig up a list from her Blog!

I live in a town adjacent to McKinney and right in McKinney is The Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary. We were there last spring and they had a very cool "Treasures of the Earth" exhibit that had rocks, gold, and dino/fossil stuff. I don't know when it ends. Oct. 1st they start the Dinos Alive exhibit that my dc saw w/my dh a few years back. They thought it was really neat! I'm sure we'll try to go again.

My sons just went to a birthday party at The Zone in McKinney and they really liked the laser tag there.

Hope that helps!

I wanted to add that the State Fair opens next weekend. You didn't say which weekend, but if it's when the state fair is underway that would a great time! It's not that hard to get to from up here in Collin County although I usually go on a week day rather than the weekend as the crowds are a lot bigger on the weekend. You could easily spend an entire day there. A friend of mine put together a list of some ticket promotions for the fair, but it's not a complete list.

State Fair of Texas 2009 promotions: Please note this is not a complete listing.

Participating North Texas KROGER stores

Advance purchase General Admission tickets are $13.50. A Season Pass is $29.95. They may be purchased at the check-out counter or at the service desk.

Opening Day-Sept. 25--Bring a full 20 oz. Coca-Cola product for donation to the North Texas Food Bank containers at Fair admission gates and enter the State Fair for $4 per donation per person.

DART Combo Ticket – Available at Kroger Food Stores. $16 buys one general admission to the 2009 State Fair of Texas and round-trip transportation on DART the day of your visit. The Green Line drops off at the front gate and a second station is located within easy walking distance to the MLK entrance.

Dr Pepper $3 Tuesdays--Every Tuesday, bring an empty Dr Pepper can and enter for $3. Most rides (excluding the Thrillway, Texas Star and selected other attractions) are 5 coupons.

Dr Pepper $5 after 5 p.m. – Bring an empty Dr Pepper can to any State Fair admission gate after 5 p.m. and enter for $5.

Kroger "Three for $1" each Wednesday--Admission is $1 for each visitor bringing 3 cans of food for area food banks.

Coke $4 Thursday--Bring an empty 20 oz. bottle of a Coca-Cola product and enter the Fair for $4 admission.

HealthSpring and Mature Texan Magazine sponsor of Seniors Day. FREE Thursdays--Senior Citizens 60 years and older get in to the State Fair FREE each Thursday.

FREE Thursday admission with a Cinemark Theater ticket stub.

KISS-FM “Fridays at the Fairâ€- Half-price admission and half-price rides after 5 p.m. on any Friday. Must present coupon printed from KISS-FM website for admission offer. Half-price ride wristbands will be distributed from KISS booth outside Midway Arch from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. on Fridays only.

Dickies – Friday, October 16, wear and show your Dickies logo clothing item at the staffed tent outside the gate and receive a voucher. The voucher is for FREE admission on Friday, October 16 only.

Any Day--McDonald's offers $4 off General Admission with one of their State Fair coupons (available on tray liner or bag stuffer) any day of the Fair. A free child ticket (with purchase of general admission) coupon is also distributed by McDonald’s. Offer may not be combined with any other offer.