Menu

tomorrow I will be the mother of a teenager

Pip

Where does the time go? I have never been one to get melancholy over the fact my kids are no longer a certain age. I have enjoyed all their ages, even the most trying. But this is somewhat bittersweet. I still remember bringing her home from the hospital in her cute dress with the smocking, changing her into a yellow onesie at home, and wondering what to do next.

Well, not exactly the same, but my stepdaughter is 15. She'll be driving next year. :001_huh:

I'm only 31, btw. My stepdaughter was born when my dh was just 17.

You know, it's kinda neat being a stepmom to a teenage girl. We're more like friends than mother/daughter. I mean, she has a mom and a dad. She doesn't need more parents; she needs an adult to just listen, love her, and NOT offer advice or criticize. It wasn't *that long ago that I was a teenager myself, so I can really identify with her sometimes. I remember just how hard it is.

Not that your relationship with your daughter will be like that, seeing as you're her mom, not her stepmom. Just sayin' that it can be a nice time in your life, having a teenager around.

Dsd is a great kid. I bet yours is, too. :001_smile:

Edited by bethanyniez
sp

changing her into a yellow onesie at home, and wondering what to do next.

This just made me laugh! I remember having the same thought when we bought my daughter home from the hospital.

My 12 year old (13 in November) is as tall as I am and any second will be taller than me.

She tried to put her head on my shoulder before and I told her she was too tall now.

I try not to think about her getting older. It makes me wanna cry.

Oh man. You're making me cry!!! My ds turned 13 this past May. I can't believe he'll be leaving HOME in 5 years. 5 YEARS!!!! ACK!!! Dh and I were talking the other day about how we're going to be saving for our big family trip to Europe and how we need to take it before our ds leaves for college. I can't believe we're already that close to it. His voice is changing. His arms and legs are too big for his body. HIs feet are HUGE!!! (Seriously - size 12 mens??!!) How did this happen!!??