Menu

read-aloud ideas for second grade?

Guest sjones

There are some good suggestions here, by category: http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/bkslit.htm

I also mine ideas from Ambleside Online:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/02bks.shtml

You could also search books using the Simply Charlotte Mason bookfinder:

http://apps.simplycharlottemason.com/resources/search?grade_from=2&grade_to=2&subjects=Literature

My second grader loves the Little House books and Chronicles of Narnia. Other books we are going to read together this year include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Understood Betsy, Peter Pan, Treasure Island, and a whole selection of darker Grimm's tales.

This is what I have picked to read aloud to my ds in second year:

The Apple and the Arrow

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

The Adventures of Pinocchio (Carlo Collodi)

The Door in the Wall

The Wind in the Willows

Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare

I had Rudyard' Kipling's The Jungle Books too, but after having worked through half of his Just So Stories this year I don't know if I want to read any more :P

Half Magic (and others) by Edward Eager

The Saturdays (and others) by Elizabeth Enright

Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit

Kenny and the Dragon by Tony DiTerlizzi (a retelling of The Reluctant Dragon; after we read the book, we listened to The Reluctant Dragon)

The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth

Ginger Pye (and others) by Eleanor Estes

All-of-a-Kind Family (and others) by Sidney Taylor

The Hobbit by Tolkien (just finished reading this to my kids over the summer; they were spellbound)

The Cricket in Times Square (and others) by George Selden

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (and others) by Robert O'Brien

The Book of Story Beginnings by Kristin Kladstrup

Tara

My boys, 6 and 9, are LOVING the Paddington books series. There are twelve books in the series, I believe, and they are so upset when we finish one. Highly recommend these.

Woolybear

My son loves them! Okay, he's younger than 2nd grade but don't let that fool you he has an exceptional attention span and most preK books don't hold his interest.

The "Poppy" series by Avi is one of my favorites for both boys and girls - my daughters LOVED it. They also really, really enjoyed A Series of Unfortunate Events - we still have many inside jokes related to those books - the characters are just so rich and wonderful. :001_smile:

We also use Sonlight's reading lists for read alouds and have really enjoyed all of them.