Menu

Can peach pits go in a simple back yard compost pile?

Tap

I bought about 100 peaches today and now have a pile of pits and skins. They were #2 peaches so there is a lot of waste. I want to toss it in my small compost pile but I know the pits take a long time to break down. I am thinking about tossing it all in and just sifting them out when I am ready, but figure that will be a big pain.

Later in the fall/early winter I just turn it all into the small area I use to grow veggies, and compost right in the vegetable bed. So, before I add this to the bed, I will need to take them out.

Would you just skip it or get what benefits you can out of them? I won't be using the compost until the spring, so it has a while to do its job.

I don't know if you have a dog, but you probably wouldn't want them lying around your yard. They contain cyanide.

HTH,

Mary

Yikes. I didn't know this! We have a peach tree and all the dogs around here grab the dropped peaches and eat them. I wouldn't be surprised if they've actually eaten the pits.

BTW, we've thrown stuff in the mulch pile and the seeds actually grew! Our best canteloupe plants are in a huge pile of manure.:lol:

I toss mine in the compost, pits and all. (And last weekend I processed about 100 pounds of peaches, that's a lot of pits!)

I find peach pits once in while in the compost once I shovel it onto the garden. They're pretty much intact. Oh well. I just leave them or toss them into the corner of the garden, just like I'd do with a rock of the same size. Doesn't seem to hurt the garden, and I've never had one try to sprout. (I do have watermelons in the compost from July 4th, though!)

Cat