Menu

Hive Mind...2 kids with 101 fever, when to worry

Okay Hive Mind,

DD#1 started coughing when she went to bed, and within 5 minutes it became quite intense. I got out the nebulizer and she did a breathing treatment. My first thought was Whooping Cough as she had this 6 years ago and something about the way this hit reminded me of that. She had no fever. This morning coughing resumed and her fever is at 101. She has asthma but it has been pretty well controlled. She does use the Advair Diskus two times daily and Zyrtec.

DD#2 woke up and came in and said she felt bad. I took her temp and it was 100.9 . she is not coughing.

The girls had their flu shots at pediatricians this week. I don't think this is a delayed reaction, but maybe? but why the cough? I figure they either have a cold, or worse they could have the start of the flu.

DH thinks I should take them to emergency room, but I don't. I think unless their fever cranks up over 102 or 103 I should wait for the pediatrician tomorrow. He of course is concerned about the H1N1 ... (he only hears the media reports, he is very concerned, but has not read any real CDC information or anything.)

I'm not opposed to running them to the Dr. but I don't want to just panic, I mean it could be just the common cold, right?

Unless they are in distress, which they aren't, and besides the ones severe cough which we are managing with Mucinex and breathing treatments, I am keeping them home. I have not given any Advil as I am just wanting their bodies to work on their own.

So they sit on the sofa, drinking water and watching TV. Would you just wait this out? I guess my kids so seldom run a fever that I have forgotten what to do when they do :D

Any words of advice?

My son came down with a 100 fever, sore throat, cough, and body aches (can't move) Saturday morning. He is 10yo w/ lung disease from being a 25 week preemie - he actually just had major reconstructive surgery on his airway in April. We called his pediatrician (through the after hours line) last night and she called in Tamiflu -she said H1N1 is rampant in our town. It was out of stock nearly everywhere we tried. We got it after driving a ways to a 24 hr. pharmacy. The dr. told us to go immediately to the hospital if we can't keep up his o2 sats (we have a pulse oximeter), but he stayed at 90 all night. So far so good!

I personally feel better with Tamiflu in his system, considering his challenges. I would not go to the hospital, but maybe a phone call to your dr. after hours line for advice and possible prescription?

People do catch the flu from the flu shot, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is. However my kids have had 104 before and I dealt with it at home. It really depends how they are handling the temp. If their breathing is labored and heart rate really high, I would take them in. I usually start giving the kinds Tylenol when their fevers start approaching 103. I want the fever to do its job and kill off the infection. So I give it a little time.

Thanks ladies, just having a shoulder to lean on makes me feel better :001_smile:

They actually appear to feel fine, somewhat achy, but the younger one wanted to go outside and play in the rain :confused:

They have no labored breathing. I am most anxious about the oldest due to her compromised lung capacity (her father has inherited COPD and they feel she is at risk).

I'm watching like a hawk. If she resumes coughing I will probably take her in. I forgot about a cool mist vaporizer, I think I will do that.

thanks again.

I went ahead and took her to the Children's Hospital Emergency Room when her temp went to 102. They did the flu test and it tested negative. Dr. said that about 1/2 the cases that appear to be the flu are testing negative, so either there is something going around very similar to the flu or even rarer, would be that the test does have some false negatives. She told me to watch her carefully over the next couple of days and if she gets worse to come back....otherwise, she will probably be feeling bad for a few days if she has whatever it is that is going around. So all in all, I am glad I went. Thanks for all the advice.

Didn't someone here on the boards post about the quick test for H1N1 having false negatives?

Yes they did. The Dr. today confirmed that there were definitely false negatives showing up. She told me today that of the hundreds of cases they are getting half are showing up negative but she is suspicious that they many of those negatives could be actual cases. She told me that with my daughter she said and it is nearly a quote "she presents as a patient with the flu, but her test is negative. However, watch her carefully as often if something walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it could be a duck." So I kind of felt the Dr. thought dd might have the flu.

Thanks for replying!

I know I am late and you have already taken your kids in, but just thought I would share what my doc says for fevers. If the child acts lethargic, ill, and like he feels terrible, then bring him in. If he is acting pretty "normal" but has a fever of 104 - give him tylenol. They are not concerned with the number so much as they are concerned with the way the child is acting.

Both of my kids have no known underlying issues, though, so take that with a grain of salt where a child with an issue is concerned.

Also, tamiflu - great for some, a CAUSE of terrible side effects, even death, for others. :( I wouldn't touch the stuff, personally and my doctor does not recommend it for kids either.

Hope they continue to do okay.

Just to clear up what a pp said, though, according to the CDC you cannot contract the flu from the flu shot.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/flushot.htm

You are correct.

Most likely someone who ends up with the flu contracted it prior to the shot. The OP children's situation sounds like a virus? Lots of fluids and rest. Hope all is well. :grouphug: