Menu

Please share your house rules

Our rules are pretty basic:

Treat others with respect which goes with the phrase Love is a Verb not just a word.

If you break it - you fix it (so if you hurt your sibling or her feelings, you have to make them feel better. You can't just say "sorry". Sorry doesn't clean up the spilt milk ).

You can't go in the front yard in your underwear - even for a minute.

No feet on the dining room table.

If you can feel your panties when you bend over, your skirt is too short even though it was just the right length last year.

That's all that I can think of. The treat others with respect is our most basic rule and requiring the kids to mend the hurt they caused has helped tremendously. These rules apply to us as well as too our children.

Respect:

*Your God

*People

*Yourself

*Stuff

Be positive

Act responsibly

Accept (and learn from) consequences, positive and negative

For a 4yr old or a child struggling with obedience or attitude, I would add "comply then discuss."

To me, understanding these rules completely would be a work in progress. I "get" that a 3yo has little concept of "respect." However, in time and through strong proactive and loving discipline (teaching/guiding), he'd learn what all it entails.

If you were less confident in leaving it vague, you could outline what respectful behavior would look like.