Menu

Good reader, atrocious speller?

Seems my ds11, ds9 and ds8 are good readers (ds8 is excellent) but atrocious spellers. For example, my ds9 (4th gr.) brought home a language paper where he spelled the following words incorrectly (I'll write how he spelled them first):

familly (family)

corse (course)

realy (really)

lernd ((learned)

gaet (great)

towrd (toward)

thou (though)

enufe (enough)

:001_huh:

Yikes...I didn't think he was *that* bad. What do I do? Could I use The Phonics Road with him and progress quickly through to give him the basics on which to build? I have it already and am using it for ds6 and ds8 at home. I think I might need to afterschool spelling with this child and obviously SWO and LLATL did not work to give him a good foundation (those are the curriculla we have used in the past for him). Help?

Seems my ds11, ds9 and ds8 are good readers (ds8 is excellent) but atrocious spellers. For example, my ds9 (4th gr.) brought home a language paper where he spelled the following words incorrectly (I'll write how he spelled them first):

familly (family)

corse (course)

realy (really)

lernd ((learned)

gaet (great)

towrd (toward)

thou (though)

enufe (enough)

Yikes...I didn't think he was *that* bad. What do I do? Could I use The Phonics Road with him and progress quickly through to give him the basics on which to build? I have it already and am using it for ds6 and ds8 at home. I think I might need to afterschool spelling with this child and obviously SWO and LLATL did not work to give him a good foundation (those are the curriculla we have used in the past for him). Help?

that's what I did at the beginning of every school year

familly (family) - trying to use the double l, s, f rule about word endings or thinking of the 'ly' as a suffix to the the root word famil?

corse (course) - there is a reason why it is ou but really, o makes sense and spells the sound correctly, just needs more familiarity with words

realy (really) - didn't add the ly suffix to the root real, just wrote it as a word in and of itself, opposite of the problem above with family

lernd ((learned) - to make a word past tense, add ed

gaet (great) - well, just a silly mistake or just really didn't have any idea how to spell it, the only real problem word on the list

towrd (toward) - every syllable has to have a vowel, to-ward, 2 syllable word, can be hearing it as tword, in which case, good job remembering the tow part

thou (though) - this and the next one are the trickiest for all my kids, vowels and gh make so many different sounds, it helps to study the ones that make the same sound in a list together

enufe (enough)

For all of the kids I have taught, spelling always lagged behind reading. And the spelling on the list wasn't so terrible - it was pretty much done phonetically. He just needs to learn some of the rules and whys and wherefores about english spelling. I wouldn't say the other programs didn't work, he just didn't integrate the rules as well as you might have hoped. Just more practice, practice, practice. And some people just aren't naturally fabulous spellers and have to keep working at it.

I was like that, and it drove my mom nuts! How are they in math? Do they transpose numbers or make careless mistakes? How are they with directions? I'm pretty sure that the reason I'm such a lousy speller is because I have dyscalculia, a form of dyslexia, also known as "math dyslexia." I have 95% of the symptoms. Poor spelling is one of the big ones.

familly (family)

corse (course)

realy (really)

lernd ((learned)

gaet (great)

towrd (toward)

thou (though)

enufe (enough)

Sounds like my ds10 has moved in with you. Really, it is an everyday battle with his spelling and we have tried everything in the book. Some kids are just not great spellers. I figure we will just keep working on it and doing the best we can. Maybe, in time, something will click. Right? SOMETHING?? :confused::001_huh:

Well, glad to know my ds is not the only one...I think! I just thought his spelling was better than that. Many of his mistakes were careless, but many were ones he's made before. Elizabeth, I like the idea of the spelling notebook. I think I might also try the Phonics Road for a good foundation. I know not all kids/adults are good spellers. And, there are many teachers out there who don't even care about good spelling. I do. And I do think it is important...even in this age of Spell Check and autocorrect functions. Poor spelling is one of my pet peeves. That's just me. Thanks again....we'll just keep plugging away!