Menu

1 sleep to go!!

C is very very excited because we have been checking Nintendo DS game prices. Oh my goodness!! I can't believe how we are getting ripped off here, he saw a Batman Lego game here on special for $19.95 but we missed out and it's back up to $69.95!!! I looked online, and it seems $19.95 is the normal price over there along with many other games which are routinely $50-80 here. C is planning to buy a few and we plan to stock up for Birthdays and Christmas!

Lol! The American economy thanks you :D

but ya, I hear about how much worse it is for you guys on every forum I go to it seems. :(. I'm just happy you will get a chance to stock up some!

I think the iTunes card is the biggie I hear about on that front. The visa gift cards would let you buy other stuff too, but it has to be hard thinking about tying up all that money too. At least iTunes there is free stuff! Lol!

Remember that barnes and noble now has free wifi in all their stores, the apple store too. Panera bread is another! Most of all, safe travels and I hope my fellow countrymen make your trip enjoyable!

US prices may be cheaper than DownUnder, but check if they'll work on your machine before you buy. My folks sent my ds#1 a PSP for Christmas last year & it only plays games from the US. That's OK for us as he just asks for new games at birthdays, etc. from my parents & it gives me a bit of control over his game options. But it would be awful for you to buy games for your son & find that they don't work when you return home.

Enjoy your trip. NYC is a great place to visit. The bagels are out of this world.

Blessings,

It's probably using a region coding - like DVDs do. I wouldn't have thought of that on handheld games at all, but you might be able to google up a list on it.

Here are some.... man, this stinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

Actually, this looks to be confusing..... DS is better than DSi in this case. I think. I'd probably go to a Game Stop store that sells used games and you can try them there. Those guys in the stores will be a wealth of info for you!

Most of Nintendo's handheld systems do not have regional lockout; because of this, import games can be played on those systems. In other words, a Japanese game would work on an American unit, although the game would likely not be in the user's native language and might be different from the product as released in other countries.

Many "hardcore gamers" import games, usually from Japan or North America, if the game is released much earlier in that country than in their own, or for other reasons (see Import gamers).

The immediate successor to the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo DSi, is region-locked. However older DS games will play on it regardless of region of origin.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/582581