Menu

Does anyone use a student store?

FairProspects

If you do, how does it work at your house? My ds is one of those kids who doesn't really like verbal praise all that much (after potty-training he actually said "Don't be happy for me!") and I am thinking a tangible reward system might be better for him. Something like where he gets tickets for a lesson well done and then once a week gets to "shop" at the store for little items tagged with different ticket levels. Anyone done this? Did it work for you?

I have not, but I like the idea.

My dd7 is the same way. Today she got 29 problems in a one min. speed drill. 2 days ago she only got 13, so I was very impressed, and praised her very much. TOO much for her. She got up and left the table and buried her head in her bed. She has always been that way. I had to go get her, and not say anything else about it. She is proud of herself, but doesn't like to talk about it. In fact, the first time I remember this was while potty training too!!

ETA.. I forgot to add, that I don't do tickets, but we do have a weekly prize box. They get to pick a prize on Friday, if they have done well and not fussed during lessons for the week. Last week, when I offered dd7 hers, she declined, stating that there was a day that she wasn't good during lessons. So this system works very well for her. She regulates herself!

We do! Ours is all based on behavior since that is where we are struggling in our homeschool. I made up a weekly chart where they start each day with 40 cents in homeschool money. It is made up of 4 behavior goals and each behavior goal is worth 10 cents per day. I have both kids names on the whiteboard and if they do break the rules we have set for behavior, they will put a mark beside their names (I know, very public school...but I needed the visual reminder because I was forgetting what they had lost each day!). Each mark counts for 5 cents meaning that they have 2 tries per day in each behavior goal before losing their money for that day.

On Fridays, I tally up their totals and give them play money as their reward. They can use the money to shop in the school store, or they may choose to save the money so they can buy an even bigger item the next week. It is lots of fun and it has really motivated my kids to behave. It is completely STOPPED my little guy from objecting to starting school each day. He willingly comes in and sits down because that is one of his behavior goals. My older son holds off on the tears when something frustrates him because he knows that crying will make him lose money. Now he asks for help when he needs it. I won't say the system is perfect or that there haven't been days where my oldest son, especially, didn't get a CENT, but overall, it is working for us beautifully.

I hope some of this made sense.

I keep a "trinket box" where they can choose a prize when they finish a workbook or text. It's full of gumball-machine junk and school/craft supplies from Target's dollar section, but they love it. I think the chance to dig through and choose their prize is more exciting than the prize itself (which usually ends up abandoned on the coffee table by the next day). I add stuff to it periodically, so they never know what they're going to find.