Menu

Linoleum block printing

We have done it and the kids really liked it. First we used styrofoam plates and just used a pencil to carve in the shape. As they got better at it, ds took a class at a local art store using the linoleum blocks(it was a 2 hr workshop type class). He did slice his palm with the tool but figured out how to use it right and has never gotten cut again. We haven't bought the blocks in a while as they get pricey but this thread reminded me of those projects. I think we will do a block printing project to make holiday cards this year.

One tip that I would like to share: If you decide you want to do linoleum block printing and acquire the tools, I would first test your "tool technique" on potatoes which are easier to carve than linoleum blocks. Stress safety issues (carve away from yourself).

Using carved potato "stamps", your kids can print up a punch of note cards for gifts or they can make their own thank you cards or gift tags.

My husband made a gorgeous linoleum block in middle school (dove with a sprig of holly in its mouth). I am actually thinking of using his old block to print up our Christmas cards this year.

Have fun!

One tip that I would like to share: If you decide you want to do linoleum block printing and acquire the tools, I would first test your "tool technique" on potatoes which are easier to carve than linoleum blocks. Stress safety issues (carve away from yourself).

Using carved potato "stamps", your kids can print up a punch of note cards for gifts or they can make their own thank you cards or gift tags.

My husband made a gorgeous linoleum block in middle school (dove with a sprig of holly in its mouth). I am actually thinking of using his old block to print up our Christmas cards this year.

Have fun!

Using the tools on potatoes is a great idea! Thanks. I ordered some supplies from Dick Blick. I'm trying several types of linoleum.

I have many fond memories of middle school art and shop classes. (But none of science and math LOL)