Menu

Handwriting workbooks?

MommyX8

I'm told a Beka teaches cursive from early on -- first grade(our church school uses it) and I see the composition and writings on the bulletin boards displayed; the children seem to do well with it.

I taught my son from Handwriting without Tears. In fifth grade, they actually have a grammar program woven into the cursive writing program. I used that and I also expected his copy work to be done in cursive, for extra practice.

Aesthetically, I love the Italics handwriting system, but I agree that the workbooks don't offer near enough practice. They do sell sets of blackline masters for extra practice.

In our case, we invested in StartWrite. Not only can I then make worksheets to introduce the various letter families to dd, but I can also type of narration and copywork sheets for WWE for ds. This has been working well for us.

We are using the Italic Builders Character Italics for extra practice this year. It uses the same font.

http://www.italicbuilders.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=50

Interesting!

How many pages are in a book?

I have Startwrite so I may do spelling lists as well. My software has got to be over 5 years old. I wonder if it is more user friendly now.

Interesting!

How many pages are in a book?

I have Startwrite so I may do spelling lists as well. My software has got to be over 5 years old. I wonder if it is more user friendly now.

I have Level 1, Book A

It has 62 pages with 98 different statements. I personally felt my boys could use some more print italic practice before moving on to cursive, particularly Ben. I am in no real hurry for cursive, though I did introduce it last year.

Between this copywork and their Writing with Ease and Daily Grams sentence combining, they are getting quite a bit of practice with handwriting. If you are looking for specific letter practice, I would just photocopy the Italic book you are using for each child for extra practice for that child, if that makes any sense.

You can sign up for samples on their website.

Edited by nestof3

If I could, I'd have a worksheet or workbook page for every day of the week.

I confess, I used multiple programs with my older children so they would have a page to complete every day. With my younger children, I've ditched the manuscript handwriting books altogether in favor of copywork. This way we're also covering basic grammar skills during our handwriting lessons in K-2nd. I will use a handwriting book to teach cursive, but once cursive letters are learned I will then switch to copywork in cursive. HTH.