Menu

Can you plz post your favorite beans and rice recipe?

I want to put this in our meal rotation and I don't have a good recipe for it. I have other recipes that USE beans and rice as ingredients, but I just want one for traditional beans and rice-hopefully with no meat (to keep us on budget), but with PLENTY of taste, and not too spicy! Thanks!

I find cumin to be absolutely indispensable in flavoring beans and rice. It's my miracle spice along with chopped garlic and caramelized onions. Don't forget the salt.

Here's my recipe for arroz con gandules. :)

I use one cup of rice to 2 cups of water.

3 cups rice (rinsed well and drained)

4cups water and 1 cup of coconut milk

1 can Goya green pigeon peas (I use this one http://www.elcolmadito.com/USArteDetail.asp?search=gandules+verdes&OrderNumber=202)

2 chicken bullion cubes

1 vidalia onion minced finely

half a head of garlic minced

1 sweet red pepper chopped

2 bay leaves

oregano flakes, pepper and adobo to taste

5 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

1. open a can of gandules and dump it into your pot. Add 4 cups of water and 1 cup of coconut milk, your bouillon cubes and bay leaves and let it come to a boil.

2. Add your onions, peppers and garlic into the water and let it boil covered for awhile (about 5-10 minutes)

3. Add in the rice, the seasonings, and the oil and give it a stir. Lower the heat to medium/medium-low.

4. When the water evaporates into the rice, cover it with a lid and reduce the heat to low.

5. Let the rice steam covered for about 20 minutes.

6. After 20 minutes, take the lid off and give the rice a quick toss.

Enjoy. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

I usually make these beans and rice when I've been really lazy:

2 cans black beans (yes, use the whole can; do not rinse, so buy the organic water packed ones)

1 c medium salsa (jarred)

2 tsp cumin (about)

1 tsp chili powder (about)

1/4 tsp garlic powder (or mince a clove)

1/8 + tsp oregano (about - really, its just a really big pinch)

freshly ground black pepper

Mix together in baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 for about 30 min. Top w/ shredded cheese (about a cup or so) and either chopped green onions or red onion and pop back in the oven for another 5-10 min.

*While the beans are cooking, cook some brown rice on the stove top. Serve the beans over the rice. Serves about 4.

Like I said, this is fast, easy and tasty. Not as good as if I had extra time on my hands, but tasty none-the-less. I say "about" because I'm afraid I don't really measure, but I can kind of guage what looks right. If you make your own beans and use those instead of canned, just add about a cup of water to the baking dish.

Edited by LauraGB

My favorite recipe comes from the back of the Bush's Black Beans can. Here's my approximation from memory:

1 can black beans (do not drain or rinse)

1 can (same size) diced tomatoes

diced green bellpepper

diced onion (can't remember how much of pepper/onion, I usually do 1/2)

1 tsp dried thyme

1 cup vegetable broth (I use the Knorr buillon)

Simmer ingredients and serve over rice. Quick and easy. And tasty, too.

Cinder

My kids love this one - it's as easy as it gets:

soak a bag of red beans overnight in water, in a crock pot

the next morning, pour off the water. Cover with fresh water by about 2 -3 inches or so. Add 5-6 dashes of Worcestershire sauce, 2 bay leaves, garlic powder, and salt. Turn the crockpot on low.

Forget about the beans.

At dinner, they're done. SOOOOOO yummy. We serve over brown rice, with cheddar cheese on top.

Enjoy!

These are both very good and cheap if you don't overdo it on the cheese and the fixings.

Black bean Burritos (makes 10 to 12 burritos - enough to serve my family twice with dh taking the leftovers to work)

2 cups dried black beans, sorted, rinsed and cooked til soft

1 cup brown rice, cooked

1 green pepper diced

1 largish onion diced

4-6 cloves garlic, minced

1 T. ground cumin

1 T. ground coriander

1 t. oregano

salt to taste (+/- 1 1/2 t.)

3 T. apple cider vinegar

Mix it all together. Put it into flour shells and top with cheddar cheese. Fold shut and place all metal silverware on top to hold them shut. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes (just until the cheese melts) Good with salsa and guacamole.

Chili Beans

2 cups pintos cooked

1 large onion diced

3 T. oil of choice

4 - 6 cloves garlic minced

1 (or more) chipoltes in adobo sauce

1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes

Fry the onion in the oil until soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic and the chipolte and fry a minute more. Add the tomatoes and the beans, and cook down a bit (maybe 15 minutes) Serve over brown rice or quinoa with feta, avocado and roasted pumpkin seeds.