Menu

Guitar Hero

Do Guitar Hero songs contain profanity?? DS received this game as a birthday present and I have strained my ears trying to listen to the lyrics, but honestly I can't make out some of the song lyrics. If they do is there a way to block them like you would on the computer?

ETA: He has Guitar Hero World Tour if that makes a difference.

Edited by TCoppock
Clarification

We don't have this, but I googled the song list for you and scanned down it quickly (I'm on my way out the door) and - unless they have the radio edits on the game, the yes, some of the songs do have explicit lyrics.

Check out the lyrics to the Beastie Boys song ..... that answer your question?

There are way more songs on there that I would NOT want my kids to hear ~ even without explicit words... it's the content, y'know? Of course, everyone has diff standards for that, but as you're concerned about the explicit lyrics, I thought you might have concerns about overall content as well ~ if you do...well... you may want to find him a new game.

Lyrics and the fact that it is rated T are the main reasons it is not in the house here.

Now there are a few other versions that i WILL allow, i think overall i'd be ok with the Beatles version coming out next week, there is a Lego Version billed as family coming out in November, and a version called, "Band Hero" that has some tamer things on it.

The youngest and I had a blast playing the Beatles Demo at Best Buy last week....

We have that game. I don't think there is any profanity.

It's a lot of "classic" rock :lol:. I laugh only because my son calls it "classic" but a lot of it is from the 80's which I don't think is old enough to be called "classic."

I did want to mention that the lyrics scroll across the screen, so you could easily read them to preview the songs you deem appropriate for your family.

We're a music-loving-liberal-radio-listening-family, so our standards might be different than yours. The game is great family fun. I'm usually the singer when we play as a family because I am NO GOOD at the guitar or the drums. Whenever I try to play an instrument, we get booed off the stage. :lol:

ETA - I've obviously been proven wrong regarding the profanity, but you can still read the lyrics to the songs on your TV screen to see if there are any songs you deem appropriate.

I decided that the game was fun, so banned the profane songs and gave the kids a budget for downloading other songs.

I agree it looks fun - and we had fun with it last week, i'm just soooo surprised it's taken this long to create a family friendly version. I've ran into a lot of people that would buy it with one you know?

I didn't know you could buy other songs either!

We don't have this, but I googled the song list for you and scanned down it quickly (I'm on my way out the door) and - unless they have the radio edits on the game, the yes, some of the songs do have explicit lyrics.

Check out the lyrics to the Beastie Boys song ..... that answer your question?

There are way more songs on there that I would NOT want my kids to hear ~ even without explicit words... it's the content, y'know? Of course, everyone has diff standards for that, but as you're concerned about the explicit lyrics, I thought you might have concerns about overall content as well ~ if you do...well... you may want to find him a new game.

Ummm... I'm not even sure what half of those lyrics mean.:001_huh: I am really hoping they have radio editting at the very least because what I could understand from those lyrics is NOT acceptable in our home.

We have that game. I don't think there is any profanity.

It's a lot of "classic" rock :lol:. I laugh only because my son calls it "classic" but a lot of it is from the 80's which I don't think is old enough to be called "classic."

I did want to mention that the lyrics scroll across the screen, so you could easily read them to preview the songs you deem appropriate for your family.

We're a music-loving-liberal-radio-listening-family, so our standards might be different than yours. The game is great family fun. I'm usually the singer when we play as a family because I am NO GOOD at the guitar or the drums. Whenever I try to play an instrument, we get booed off the stage. :lol:

ETA - I've obviously been proven wrong regarding the profanity, but you can still read the lyrics to the songs on your TV screen to see if there are any songs you deem appropriate.

Can you tell me how to get the lyrics to appear? I will have to take a better look when DS is out of the house. We listen to the radio but there are some songs that we shut off.

I love the Jimmy Eats World song. It has such a catchy tune. I tend to sing the wrong words to songs, so honestly even the songs I THINK I know might be totally inappropriate, especially once the true lyrics are plastered on the screen.

I attempted to play the game when I went to visit my younger brothers and apparently I'm not very good either. They kept teasing me that I was making them lose and I was arguing that I was playing every note, but I guess it has to be on beat. :tongue_smilie:I was concentrating so hard on getting the notes that I was sure it wasn't me. I wasn't aware it showed each players score individually until they pointed it out.

We don't have GH but we do have Rock Band. The T rating is for lyrics but, at least with RB, the profanity in songs is omitted (and you don't score extra points for singing them. I've tried.). The profanity isn't a problem for me. My sons have heard those words and know not to repeat them. I do get a bit uneasy with topics of songs but I've asked them and they have no idea what the song is about. My ds9 is too busy concentrating on his guitar notes and little man is too busy playing. I've gotten quite the education with some of these old songs though. I had no idea some of them were so, um, adult. LOL