Menu

"Fun" writing program for middle-schooler?

Michelle T

I've got a 13 year old DS who is NOT that enthused about writing, and definitely needs a lot of help in that area. He is still struggling with things like paragraphs, main ideas, format, etc.

I'd love to find something that would help him learn to write good paragraphs, essays, reports, but not be dry as dust. Preferably something that is CLEARLY spelled out for me, as I am not good at coming up with assignments on my own.

We have tried and discarded:

Wordsmith Apprentice

IEW

so many workbooks I lost count

Bravewriter/Writer's Jungle

Thanks!

Michelle T

I have a 13 year old ds, who struggles with reading and writing, as well. We are doing IEW, but I am also having him create his own blog. He is a serious baseball player and it is his true love, so his blog will mainly be about that. It will include his personal stories and pics about his games, the Phillies and fun facts (educational) about baseball. The possibilities are endless, really.

Just an idea. Maybe your ds has a passion for something?

Lisa

I second a look at 'Jump In.' I used this last year with my ds12 and thought it was great. He enjoyed it--it's written to the student in a relaxed way, so he found it funny at times. I felt like it covered things well. I seem to recall there were sample pages somewhere...and I've seen a few threads about it on here, so you could try a search.

I second a look at 'Jump In.'
I initially had mixed feelings about Jump In and shared those here in the past, but I ended up well-pleased. My oldest used it essentially independently as a young 7th grader (I think it was 7th...?) and my second son will use it this year and next, during 6th and 7th. Neither of them are pretty capable writers and not reluctant toward the subject, but I can see this program working with a range of students. It's got some spice ~ moreso than many writing programs ~ and introduces the basics systematically. Lots of hand-holding, lots of clear guidelines.

I've got a 13 year old DS who is NOT that enthused about writing, and definitely needs a lot of help in that area. He is still struggling with things like paragraphs, main ideas, format, etc.

I'd love to find something that would help him learn to write good paragraphs, essays, reports, but not be dry as dust. Preferably something that is CLEARLY spelled out for me, as I am not good at coming up with assignments on my own.

We have tried and discarded:

Wordsmith Apprentice

IEW

so many workbooks I lost count

Bravewriter/Writer's Jungle

Thanks!

Michelle T

I know you pitched IEW, but did you try the History Based Writing Lessons? Those are definitely more clearly laid out and very easy to implement - it's all in a student workbook. The SWI's are much more difficult to schedule (IMHO) which makes it harder to use. My very reluctant writer is doing well with the History-Based lessons.

I know you pitched IEW, but did you try the History Based Writing Lessons? Those are definitely more clearly laid out and very easy to implement - it's all in a student workbook. The SWI's are much more difficult to schedule (IMHO) which makes it harder to use. My very reluctant writer is doing well with the History-Based lessons.

Or even the other Themed Based Writing Lessons. Can't say enough about how much we like it!!! :001_smile: