Menu

Where [IF I should...] would I place a 4th gr boy in WWE

74Heaven

i picked up the WWE book 1 at our local homeschool bookstore. It is perfect for my 1st grader who has done very little writing but did do a whole year of manuscript printing last year -and- reads at a very advanced level...

His 4th gr brother is doing Shurley Eng after 3 years of A beka [grade level] language arts. This boy is an extremely advanced reader but has little desire to write. We are following my ''normal'' 3 yrs Abeka, 3 yrs Shurley elem language arts sked.

If WWE could work for him, I'd be thrilled. His oral narrations are almost perfect as far as comprehension. I want his penmanship to improve and I want him to start writing more - and yet also focus on good grammar/spelling/puntuation in his writing.

We have dabbled in IEW but I think I have too much going this year to really stay with IEW. WWE looks scripted, easy to pick up and use. Anyone have thoughts about a 4th grade reluctant writer using WWE Level 3.

I don't want this to be TMI but this boy is extremely gifted in everything except possibly the actual act of writing and punctuating paragraph/sentences. He speaks well and grammatically correct. He routinely whips out near-perfect scores on grammar/spelling/punctuation tests but then he writes something and it looks like a first grader, such as - [sample sentence from this boy]

the Boy galloping on the horse wnt To fas crasht two fence [no period]

kwim - Can you help.

btw, I do know how to spell and punctuate but my shift key just broke again

lisaj, mom to 5

Did you pick up WWE the main text, or the workbook? The main text has samples and evaluations to help you place your child.

I just gave the evaluations to my dd11 and ds13 today. The dictation in Year 4 was absolutely out of the question. My dd11 would start in Year 2 and my ds13 in Year 3. I'm still trying to figure out the narration expectations. By the end of Year 4, the student should be reading longer passages and writing 3-sentence summaries. My dd11 wrote too much and my ds13 wrote too little. I'm trying to figure out the transition from 4th grade 3-sentence summaries to 5th grade half-page summaries. It's a bummer that the second volume isn't due out anytime soon. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't do the assessment because I thought my son's results would 'split'. i.e. he would be able to read and write and be assessed ''borderline'' between books 3 and 4. But since I thought Book 4 wasn't available for quite awhile, I was wondering if book 3 would be too easy or I should go ahead and get it. THE bookstore just had books 1 and 2 so I couldn't look at Book 3.

LISA

That's what I was going to suggest.

...so I couldn't look at Book 3.

LISA

You can download the first six weeks of Book 3 at the bottom of the page here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/ (For the time being anyway.)

It would likely give you a clearer picture of whether that would be a good choice.

Alternately, just do the lessons that are spelled out in the WWE textbook. You don't have to make up your own lessons in between, just keep going. Start at the beginning of 3rd, and keep working right on through the lessons that are spelled out for level 4. You should get almost a semester's worth of material out of just the lessons in those two levels. And if you find he needs to slow down at some point, of course you can do that.

You can download the first six weeks of Book 3 at the bottom of the page here......

It would likely give you a clearer picture of whether that would be a good choice.

Alternately, just do the lessons that are spelled out in the WWE textbook. You don't have to make up your own lessons in between, just keep going. Start at the beginning of 3rd, and keep working right on through the lessons that are spelled out for level 4. You should get almost a semester's worth of material out of just the lessons in those two levels. And if you find he needs to slow down at some point, of course you can do that.

Thanks, I can start these first 6 lessons and see if I have a good fit.... but I guess I am confused now. I don't understand what you mean about the ''lessons spelled out for level 4''. I admit I don't know a ton about WWE but how can I work at Lev 4 w/o a workbook.... you mean from the Instructor's Main Text...

lisaj

I have a son, who sounds a lot like your son. He has an early fall birthday and is in fourth grade.

We have been doing WWE2, the workbook, for four weeks. This thread reminded me that I wanted to check out the WWE3 workbook online to see if it would work better. (That doesn't mean WWE2 isn't working, I just like to drive myself nuts sometimes. Anyway, in my opinion WWE2 would be a better fit for your son, because it includes copywork, which have your son to use proper grammar and punctuation without having to think about it. The next day the child does the same sentence(s) as dictation work. The WWE3 workbook is all dictation in the weeks online. I would assume the later weeks would be the same. The stories for narrating look a bit longer in WWE3. Narrating comes easy for my son, and he hasn't complained about the narration exercises from WWE2. The copywork sentences are a good chance for me to watch him write and correct him as he starts to make a mistake.

Like your son, my son knows the grammar, but doesn't apply it in his own writing. He is doing FLL4, and he hasn't missed a thing in the first 20 lessons.

Good luck.

LC

I admit I don't know a ton about WWE but how can I work at Lev 4 w/o a workbook.... you mean from the Instructor's Main Text... lisaj

The parents book, Strong Fundamentals, was written to be a guide for the first 4 levels. It explains how to teach writing in the first 4 levels. The workbooks were written for the parents who don't want to find their own dictation and narration passages. They are supplemental and not integral to the WWE program.

...I don't understand what you mean about the ''lessons spelled out for level 4''. I admit I don't know a ton about WWE but how can I work at Lev 4 w/o a workbook.... you mean from the Instructor's Main Text...

I was under the impression that you have the main text? (The little hardback...)

In it, there are 6-8 lessons from each year. Each lesson tells you exactly what to do on each of four days. Just like the workbook. But while the workbook spells out a year's worth of lessons, the instructor guide just gives you a couple of weeks at the beginning, then says, "make up your own lessons following this pattern for the next six weeks", then there's another lesson that demonstrates a slight increase in difficulty, and an instruction to follow that pattern for the next several weeks with material you choose, then another sample lesson, then... For a total of 6 or 8 complete week-long lessons.

So when you're using the program for a child who is a little bit older or otherwise prepared to pick up the material more quickly, using only the lessons spelled out in the teacher's book can be a useful way to do it. Just skip the parts where it says "make up your own lessons", and go on to the next fully scripted lesson.

Does that make any more sense?