Menu

Myrtle Beach in September

Can you swim in outdoor pools at Myrtle Beach at the end of September? We are considering a spur-of-the-moment vacation, and I need a quick answer, so I came to the Hive. ;) If it will be too cold for swimming, we will choose to go somewhere else.

Thanks so much for your help!

for our Women's church retreat. We always get a house with a pool, never get the heat and someone always gets in. We go to Emerald Isle.

I just mapped it, Emerald Isle is 3 hours north east of Myrtle Beach. And we go first weekend in October.

Based on that, I'd say you should be able to swim.

You should be able to---although I agree the last couple of days we haven't hit the pool bec of cooler temps. Most of the resorts will have in-door pools. If you haven't booked yet check out http://www.dunesvillage.com ---my kids love staying at this one bec of the indoor water parks along with the outdoor pools. They have some end of summer specials right now ---I think I saw for as low as $69 a night.

Thanks for all the great info so far. The specific resort we are looking at, The Sea Watch, doesn't have indoor pools in September. Apparently their outdoor pools become indoor pools in November, when they put up glass walls. But they can't do that before November because of hurricanes. So that is why I am asking about swimming in outdoor pools. :001_smile:

You should be able to---although I agree the last couple of days we haven't hit the pool bec of cooler temps. Most of the resorts will have in-door pools. If you haven't booked yet check out www.dunesvillage.com ---my kids love staying at this one bec of the indoor water parks along with the outdoor pools. They have some end of summer specials right now ---I think I saw for as low as $69 a night.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at this one. :D

We go to Myrtle Beach every year at the end of September/beginning of October (depending on the year--this year it's October). The place we stay (where my in-laws have a time share) has one heated and one non-heated pool---by the beginning of October they have usually enclosed the heated pool. We usually don't have a problem with swimming in the heated pool even at the end of September before they enclose it, but the unheated one is very chancy. All the water parks are definitely closed. We do like to play mini golf every year.

If you like Greek food, the annual Greek Festival is at the end of September. We've gone the last couple of years (when we've been there the correct weekend). It's small but the food is good. It's easy to find, not far from Broadway at the Beach.

http://www.stjohn-mb.org/events/festival.htm

Also, if you want to go to Ripley's Aquarium, be sure to ask for the homeschool rate---*much* cheaper than the regular one

http://myrtlebeach.ripleyaquariums.com/buy-tickets/group-tickets/ We had to get our tickets at the window to the right of the entrance rather than at the regular ticket booths.

Something we plan to check out this year while we are down there is the Historic Myrtle Beach Colored School Museum and Education Center

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/coloredschool.html. I saw mention of it in the paper last year but we didn't have time to go. It should fit in well with our SOTW 4 this year.

Brookgreen Gardens is also very nice, but they don't have a homeschool rate. http://www.brookgreen.org/

Thanks for all the great info so far. The specific resort we are looking at, The Sea Watch, doesn't have indoor pools in September. Apparently their outdoor pools become indoor pools in November, when they put up glass walls. But they can't do that before November because of hurricanes. So that is why I am asking about swimming in outdoor pools. :001_smile:

I looked at the website and it says that all six of the pools are heated seasonally, though only two are enclosed seasonally. I think you should be fine, though depending on the air temp getting in and out can be a bit brisk sometimes :). Call them and make sure that the pools are indeed heated at the time you are going. I imagine they will be.

I looked at the website and it says that all six of the pools are heated seasonally, though only two are enclosed seasonally. I think you should be fine, though depending on the air temp getting in and out can be a bit brisk sometimes :). Call them and make sure that the pools are indeed heated at the time you are going. I imagine they will be.

They actually told us the pools won't be heated until October.:confused: I'm hoping that is because the water is still warm enough in September that they don't need to be heated. The ocean will still be fairly warm then, right?