Menu

What have been hits and misses this year at your house?

KristineIN

Hits for my 4 yr old

Bible Stories to read

Preschool Plus

MUS Primer

Living Learning Books 1

Developing the Early Learner

Misses

Science is Simple to much work on my part

RightStart - just didn't fit ds's learning style.

up for debate - LLATL Blue It is doing the job and has worked better than anything, it just isn't that much fun so I ordered Alphabet Island yesterday and we will either combine the two or just do AI. We shall see after it arrives.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hits (for either 3rd and/or 6th grader)

• Sequential Spelling
  • MUS Gamma and Epsilon
  • Logic Countdown, Orbiting with Logic
  • Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space
  • Timez Attack

Misses (for one or the other)

• Journey Through Grammarland
  • Great Science Adventures: the World of Space (the only curriculum I just couldn't pick up one more day....)

The rest of our choices were neither hits nor misses....

HITS FOR PREK-K (4-year-old)

Peak with Books

Modern Curriculum Press Math Level K

MISSES

Before Five in a Row

Arts and Crafts as a whole (I'm not the artsy type -- dh will take over this Fall as he's an artist :))

Old thread, but

For last year (K)

Hits: Anything and everything we did that was science-related

lapbooks

Singapore Math

Misses: Abeka reading

OPG (sorry!)

AlphaPhonics

Current Hits (gr1)

T4L Language Arts

Singapore Math and Developmental Math

Magic Treehouse books

Anything science related

Sign language

Current Misses (gr1)

None yet

This has been a really helpful thread. It got me to researching anyhow.

Hits: The ones that really got us excited.

OPGTTR - I think this saved our homeschooling career. We've been using this as a remedial program since April for my 5th grader and her reading has improved by leaps and bounds. Finally I feel like we're going to be okay. I thought I had tried everything. My older girls never had any trouble with reading, so this was surprising. I'll use this with my son too when he is ready.

Spelling Power

Saxon 65's mental math section

Janice Van Cleave's Chemistry for Every Kid

Misses:

Saxon Algebra I

R&S English 8 - We've loved Rod and Staff, but we've been diagraming for far too many years, and are ready to be done with it. Need to concentrate on writing.

Hits: TOG, Tops Electricity, Perplexors, Apologia Elementary Botany

No real serious misses this year, but ones that we were not very enthusiastic about would be Steck-Vaughn Analogies, and Abeka Spelling

AmeliaB in MO (Laura in MO from the old board)

I had to chime in. I do extensive reseach on all of our curriculum and am so happy to report it has paid off.

Just 7 DD, Happy B-day Baby

We LOVE:

• Singapore Math (middle of 2A)Text, WB, Intensive Practice, Extra Practice, Challenging Word Problems, Home Instructors Guide by Sonlight. DD is math crazy; I think one extra WB would suffice, but....
  • History Odyssey (about to start Middle Ages level 1, Ancients was a blast!)We do most all the extra reading and activities, though lite on STOW
  • Voyages in English (we love the writting workshops, just started 2)
  • Spelling Power
  • English from the Roots Up (we have fun with this)
  • Trail Guide to the World
  • Trail Guide to the US
  • R.E.A.L. Science by Pandia Press (did Life, doing Earth and really concerned that there is no more)
  • Artistic Pursuits (Great)
  • Junie B. Jones (all of them, DD loved them, I wasn't crazy about the attitude of the character but it gave DD an insight to PS)
  • Magic Tree House (Love these)

and I would not be able to cope with lesson plans, scheduling etc without....

Homeschool Traker Plus!!! It is a must for me!

Thanks for letting me share

Hits here this year after using years of Abeka

I really loved Abeka for the earlier years, the phonics program is great.

We are loving

My Fathers World Rome to Reformation which uses SOTW Vol.2

Apologia Biology

Sequential spelling

I really cannot think of any misses at the moment....

Oh, our great big miss was

Math U See (Gulp and I bought 4 different levels because I was sure it would work) My son just could not program his brain to think like they wanted, after years of learning to do things differently.

We usually stick with what I have purchased and if it doesn't work right away we just put it aside for a bit, then pick it back up when I think my child has matured enough to use it. This happened with my oldest. Last year he could not make Apologia Biology work this year he loves it.

I always keep plenty of items on hand if we need to fill in for something that is not working.

Does that make me a curriculum junkie?

Miss: Horizons Math. Hard for mom, and too busy and all over the place for DD.

Miss: SL 2 regular readers. Mouse Tales, Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia, DD hated almost all of them. She likes tanglewood.com picks much better.

Hit: SL K read alouds all are a hit so far except Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.

Best money spent: http://www.drawyourworld.com/drawwrite.html

I love Draw Write Now. Draw Write Now is much more than just drawing and writing. They are more like a full curriculum. It is a shame that more people do not know this. It reminds me of the way MFW K approaches subjects.

I bought books 7 and 8. They have lessons on drawing maps of the world and of continents. Then additional draw and write lessons are on animals that live in certain countries and climates. After these lesson pages (that you are probably familiar with) there is an additional page with information about the subjects (continents, countries, climates, animals) and book suggestions for additional reading.

• 2 weeks later...

I was new to HS'ing this year and dropped the ball in a lot of areas, but can give a big HIT to RightStart Math. Dd is a smart cookie but really learned a lot of wonderful strategies by going through RS Math this year. She didn't always like Math time I admit, but she would probably complain about anything besides playing or doing crafts ;) and she's done well learning with RS so I'm happy with it.

I can't say either of us loovvee MUS, but she understands and does the work easily and willingly. No more procrastination, frustration, or tears (from either of us) over math!

Now, these are for 6th, 5th, 2nd, and K.

Other hits :

Singapore math

Megawords

Latin Prep

Learnables French

Explode the Code

My World Science

Hake Grammar

Logic Countdown/Liftoff

Progeny Press guides

Phonics Pathways

Pathway Readers

Handwriting Without Tears

Misses:

Singapore (for dc #2)

Latin Prep (for dc #2)

Learnables French (for dc #2--see a pattern here?)

Wordsmith Apprentice

Love/hate relationship:

Phonics of Drawing

HITS:

Rod and Staff English- mastery and very thorough. Incorporates writing

Contemporary Chemistry: A Practice Approach by Walch Publishing-excellent break down of chemistry for my special needs highschooler

Pathway Readers-great wholesome stories. Fun to read

Wordsmith Writing- Basic writing instruction. Easy to implement with a reluctant teenager who loathes writing.

Progeny Press Literature Guides-Wonderful christian guides. I love the comprehension questions and story analysis.

Math U See Geometry-mastery. Short lessons and plenty of drill. DVDs are very helpful for a mom who hasn't had Geometry in years.

MISSES:

Christian Liberty Press' Building Spelling Skills- I did not see where or how my children had improved in spelling after 2 years of using this curriculum. The words were becoming increasingly difficult with each unit and were not words that I felt 3rd and 4th graders should actually spell in real writing. We are using Spelling Wisdom in our new year.

Hits for Pre-K

The Explode the Code Primers A, B & C

Explode the Code 1

Bob Books

Singapore Earlybird Math Standards Edition 1A & 1B

Cuisinaire Rods (for making number "trains" and lots of "free play")

Miquon Math Orange plus the teaching guides for *me* (a recent addition...but already loving)

Lots and lots and lots of read alouds

And Leapfrog DVDs (Talking Letter Factory/Talking Word Factory/Math Circus, very valuable!!!)

Bill