Menu

Travel planning woes

One friend's family is on the way to Disney for a week; another to Europe for 2 weeks. Both trips are great financial deals, as well as the obvious travel benefits. While I am delighted for them, I'm also sad that this is an area in which I am definitely challenged.

My dd are teens now and I know the home years left are limited. I know that I want these experiences with them and, with planning ,we can afford it.

My problem? I don't like--okay I hate-- planning the trips and researching the best deals etc. I know some people love this type of planning---but not me. Trying to figure the best trip at the best deal overwhelming for me. (trip a has this at a 20% discount but if you do trip b they will let you stay free 2 nights but wait! if you stay over on a Tuesday and say pretty please trip C will double the offer!)

My dh is on board with the trips but he doesn't believe in comparative shopping. Meaning that even simple vacations can be very costly if he alone does the planning. Sigh, which leaves the research to me. see above paragraph for sigh reason

Is there some type of travel agency for families that might send offers within my parameters? I don't want to get huge amounts of spam about going to Antarctica or going on a trip to Botswana to count ants on an anthill. Although I'm sure those would be fun--esp Antarctica since I am living the Texas heat right now.

I would like to tell the agency about trips within a certain price limit and the types of trips--cruise, local, theme parks,overseas,skiing--that we would be interested in and then they could send offers/info specifically on those?

I'd really like to be able to plan 1-2 trips like that a year.

Is there a way to do that and get a fair price and good trip? Or am I just being lazy and should get over this and start researching trips even if I'd rather be cleaning house.

Any advice from the hive travel gurus?

nandell

What???? Not like planning a trip? Researching the possibilities? Seeing how to get the best deal? This is one of my passions/obsessions!!! LOL

If planning isn't your forte - definately go meet with an agent. If they are good, they will be your best pal in planning a trip. We booked a cruise with an agent and when a GREAT deal came out that I wasn't aware of, they rebooked our cruise at the lower rate!!! I just got an email saying that we were getting a rebate for $850! A good agent will do that for you.

Have fun with your non-planning and let us know what you decide to do!!!

i use kayak.com. there are others out there, but i've booked almost all our international trips with them.

it doesn't make me crazy, they give me choices, and keep me updated if my choices get cheaper.

pick a location. decide approximately when you'd like to go. then try it out. do NOT, repeat do NOT read about free nights, etc, etc, etc.... it will make you nuts.

just type the info into kayak and wait to see what comes up....

pm me if you'd like help...

ann

ann, I'll give kayak a try --and thanks for the offer to pm you. You may very well be hearing from me.

Cassandra, I know this makes me sound pathetic but there's so many places to go I never actually plan anything. :o

What i would like ideally is to get notified when a really good deal comes along as well as reg planning. Most places I've tried though send HUGE amounts of spam.

And you're right, travel advice from this board rocks. The trips we have taken have always been made better by tips on where to stay, eat, etc.

Thanks. Anyone else?

One easy way would be to buy your tickets from Orbitz and then pick up a Rick Steves book for whatever country you're going to visit and then follow his, "If you have two weeks..." or whatever plan. It may not be exactly how you would do it, but you'll be happy with the results.

Where is the board fairy when you need her?

I think what you really need is permission to *not* get the best deal. So, in Anna's absence, I'll grant you that.

Decide how much money you can spend on a trip. Decide where you want to go. (If necessary, write down three options, put them in a hat, and draw.) If you can do the trip in that amount of money, you win! It really doesn't matter if someone else could do it for less.

Look at it this way, the stress of getting the best deal is resulting in no trips at all. Wouldn't you rather take a trip, even if you only get it for the second-best price?

Cassandra' date=' I know this makes me sound pathetic but there's so many places to go I never actually plan anything. :o

What i would like ideally is to get notified when a really good deal comes along as well as reg planning. Most places I've tried though send HUGE amounts of spam.

[/quote']

The problem is, one person's spam is another person's great deal, so if you don't know where you want to go, you will have to wade through lots of stuff.

But could we help you get ideas flowing?

Wanna cruise? Vacationstogo.com has cool stuff.

Wanna fly? Cheaptickets.com has good deals.

Where do you want to go?

Mountains? Grand Tetons? Grand Canyon? Glacier National Park? Mt. St. Helens?

Historical sites? Colonial Williamsburg? Boston? Battlefields? Mt. Rushmore?

Beaches? Southern Cal? Outer Banks, NC? Florida?

Theme Parks? Disney? Knotts Berry Farm? Cedar Point, OH?

Cities? NYC? Washington DC? San Diego?

I love planning trips. I plan trips that are a potential blip on the horizon.

Having said that, yes, an agency is probably your best bet. I'd still get a comparitive price for your final option from a couple of places though. Sometimes agents really pull through and get the best price, but often if where you are going is off the beaten track a little then you will pay quite a bit more, but that's probably still going to be a better deal than your DH doing no research at all.