Menu

Dear America/My America

My girls did not like them. There are other (more enjoyable) books which are set in historical time periods. They really didn't like the childhood of famous people series (different series from Dear America but same 'feel' according to them.)

If you are looking for good biographies or historical fiction you might try Jean Fritz or Margaret Davidson.

Hope this helps,

What do you think of these books?

Will they be interesting for boys? I noticed most of the books are "written" by girls.

I found that a lot of the titles about boys were really about young men, 16-18 years old. With several set during wartime and being about actual combatants, this is sort of unavoidable. But I think that it may tend to push harsher subjects onto younger boy readers than in the Dear America line.

I think that part of the reason for this is that girls are generally reading at a higher level than their male age counterparts. There is a pretty big market for books that are easy to read but don't look like readers for boys who are struggling readers. So the actual target audience for the My Name is America might be a couple years older than the target for Dear America. (Just my supposition.)

It is also worth being aware of what subtle message the books are putting across. For example, the one about a Finnish immigrant is somewhat about the immigrant experience. But it is also a heavy commentary on the need to unionize workers in order to protect them against the managers/owners (who were portrayed in a one dimensional negative light).

Does your library maybe have any of the We Were There series from the 50-60s? These are good and meaty stories.

My girls did not like them. There are other (more enjoyable) books which are set in historical time periods. They really didn't like the childhood of famous people series (different series from Dear America but same 'feel' according to them.)

If you are looking for good biographies or historical fiction you might try Jean Fritz or Margaret Davidson.

Hope this helps,

We grab every Jean Fritz book that we can find! She is the best of the best!!!!:001_smile: Ester Forbes is awesome too! We are reading Johnny Tremain now.

We are just entering an era of history for the My America/Dear America books & I have found a few at the thrift stores. I wish I could give you better info. I did proof read one about the young Cherokee boy on the Trail of Tears (Jesse Smokes) and it was okay. Not as well written as Forbes or Fritz... but nothing controversial. It is a way to see the Trail of Tears in a different light... from the eyes of the boy... not the history book or soldier.

Edited by Dirtroad