Menu

Scrapbooking help needed - postbound or strap-hinge?

I'm just starting scrapbooking and don't actually have an album for the 12x12 pages I have finished. One of my friends swears by strap hinge (she says they lay flatter) but in the stores there seems to be an abundance of postbound, which suggests they are more popular.

Which should I chose? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Thanks for the help!!!!

I used to be a strap hinge snob. Then with 3 kids I decided I needed way too many albums. I used the 40% off coupons to purchase most of my albums so I got whatever was on sale. Sad thing is that I've barely scrapped in like 4 yrs! I need to finish senior dd's school book so she'll at least have her school photos in an album. I hs my 8 yr old & my older 2 go to catholic h.s.

Back to albums--either works--look at them both for yourself & the price differences & see which makes more sense for you.

hth, Paula

Strap hinge is limited but I think it has to do with old patents, etc. They are much better for making albums seem sturdier & the pages look flat and close together when viewing the layouts. Many people do 2 page layouts and the look is much better. The best Strap hinge albums on the market are sold my Creative Memories. They cost more... but are very well made. I have actually had a few straphinge from Hobby Stores that resulted in straps broken (thinner plastic ro cardboard guides) or the cardboard in the cover bent very easily.... so I had to actually buy a new coverset (so really saved no $$). So, now I only use CM straphinge coversets & their colored refill pages.

The Post albums never seem to fit right. You have to add spacers & they never give you enough with the album. I have even seen posts that look rusted (why? not wet album, just bad metal?). They don't fit on the bookshelf as nicely.

Another option, if you like the top loading page protectors in the post bound... but don't like the fanning & weird spacers, etc are RING BINDERS. They lay flat but (of course) always have the big rings in the middle. However, they do great with the top loading page protectors.

I like Strap Hinge the best (if CM).... but I prefer my ring binder albums MORE than my postbound albums. It is all about preference/style & getting a look at someone elses albums is a good way to see what you think you would like!

BTW..... The page protectors and refills that CM sells are better also... but not sure if they are good enough to justify the price that is charged. One good thing with their refill pages..... they do offer natural, spargo (gray) and black refill pages (which save money b/c you don't have to have another sheet of paper for every layouts... the refill page makes a great backdrop for pictures.... just need a little color for a mat or accent). The page protectors are a bit thicker than those at hobby stores and don't rip as easily... but still not sure if they pay for themselves with CM. You can find a CM consultant at www.creativememories.com.... just enter your zip code.

It is all better than digital! (IMHO)

Edited by Dirtroad

I started out with strap-hinge. However, I eventually found it really limiting and switched to post-bound, top-loading. It just gives you a lot more options and I don't have to worry about doing the pages in order.

I, personally, don't like the look of the 3-ring binder style albums. That's only an aesthetic thing, personal preference.

Thank you all for your opinions ... I'm still not sure what I'm going to go with. Hobby Lobby has their albums 50% off starting tomorrow, so I would like to get one this week. Hopefully I can decide by then! I guess it's not the end of the world if I make a decision that's ends up being different than what I stick with. I just prefer to go down the 'right' path from the beginning!!!

I guess I should have added that I was TONS of pictures and will end up with SEVERAL (meaning LOTS) of albums by the time I get everything finished. I don't know if this makes a difference - but I do need albums that hold a lot of pages. I would like to try to do an album for every calendar year.

I started out with strap-hinge. However, I eventually found it really limiting and switched to post-bound, top-loading. It just gives you a lot more options and I don't have to worry about doing the pages in order.

I, personally, don't like the look of the 3-ring binder style albums. That's only an aesthetic thing, personal preference.

Me too. I found with strap hinge that adding a page somewhere in the middle is very difficult.

I like postbound. I don't scrap in order so I can add pages wherever they need to go with a postbound album. I LOVE my Close to My Heart postbound album- but they are expensive. Newer postbound albums will generally have a tab that extends the pages so they lay relatively flat. I also don't like working on white or black but prefer to use colored cardstock backgrounds. While doable, straphinge pages can get very heavy when you put cardstock on top of the existing cardstock.