Menu

Math Mammoth

Chez J

Math Mammoth is a mastery based program similar to Singapore, but with more practice and (IMHO) better explanations and a better layout. It might be a tad less challenging than Singapore ~ or maybe it just seems that way because the explanations are very clear and concise so kids don't get stumped as often. MM uses the same "bar diagram" approach to word problems as Singapore, and includes challenging word problems in sections called "Puzzle Corner." The author says that students can do Singapore 6A after they complete Math Mammoth 5B, since her 6th grade curriculum won't be available until next year. After completing 6B, a student would either do Pre-Algebra or Algebra.

The MM books are available as PDF downloads, although you can also order printed versions. The advantage of the downloads is that you can just print the pages you need, as you need them, and you can reuse the books for younger kids. In addition to the grade-leveled books, there are topic books, and sets of worksheets for students who may need extra practice.

Jackie

I just downloaded four of the Blue worktexts and printed much of it out. I love what I see so far. DS13 will be using it to brush up on his basics. He is just coming out of ps, so I have no experience with any other program. It seems to provide "tricks" and different solutions for many problems. It provides a lot of practice. Looks perfect for what I need!!