Menu

Easy cut & paste projects like in the happy meals?

Lovedtodeath

I hope someone knows what I mean.

DD loves making the little crafts in the McDonald's happy meals that have American Girl books. They are punch out and fold or stick.

Are history pockets anything like this? How would they differ? Do they require scissors and glue? Alot more?

What about the AS1 crafts from Winterpromise? Are they like this?

I think I have an idea, even though when we went to McDs my girls opted out of the happy meals in exchange for another small treat from the store. (my boys got the cars)

Rainbow Resource has small paper doll books that teach a child about clothing in different cultures. They are stick on. There are also many other paper dolls that you can buy and punch out, the Native American/ Plains Indian village books etc. (which may be in AS1) are punch out, and my kids love those.

The History Pockets are color, cut, and paste. Your dd may like them if she likes to color and cut. Hope that helps.

:tongue_smilie:

:lurk5:

Another place to look is Dover Publications

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-children.html

Check out the Easy-to-Make, the Cut & Assemble, the Punch Out, the Masks, toy theaters, doll books, etc. Dover usually has free shipping above $50 & periodic sales. Amazon & RR carry Dover products at a discount of course, but the Dover site is much better for browsing & searching.

The projects vary in their level of difficulty, so it is important to read the description carefully.

We have loved things like the easy Pueblo village, the Land of Oz, animal masks, etc. The paper everything is printed on is heavy coated stock, so (in my experience) the projects are much sturdier than anything I could print myself, even on card stock.

I second the suggestion for Dover. My kids have done the Plains Indian Village and the Pueblo village in the last few weeks. Very cool. I actually need to find more stuff like this myself. I'm craft challenged and these turn out well (when the project itself isn't the point).

ETA: We're using Sonlight 3 and adding AS1 books to engage my 1st grader. That and amazon is where I came across those Dover craft booklets.

I got the AS 1 guide and Plains Indians book. So to go along with that (and parts of SL core 4 after that) I am ordering some extras. Does this look like a good list? We might start the Indian study early, but AS 1 is still a year away, when she is 8.

Interactive 3-D maps: American History

History Pockets: Civil War

History Pockets: American Revolution

Colonial America (Easy Make & Learn Projects)

Northeast Indians: Reproducible Models

Southwest Indians: Reproducible Models

I will still look into the other suggestions!