Menu

When do the tourists leave your area?

We're trying to take a small trip in-state, but I don't care for throngs of tourists. DD wants to go to the beach (probably just VABeach), but I'm trying to guage a time between the tourists leaving and cold weather coming in. Not too soon, not to late. KWIM?

When is it "safe to go in the water" (or anywhere else) where you live?

After Labor Day Weekend.

I do have to say, though, for anyone in the area. George Washington's Birthplace is doing family nights and weekends, letting families in for freeee! Granted it's only a few dollars any other time, but hey free is even cheaper ;)

Miss Julie,

Aren't you near King George? :glare:

I just wanted to point out that my DD is begging to go to the beach, and I considered the beaches near you but......they didn't get good ratings this year. Ummmm...we'll be going to Dawn's neck of the woods, thank you. :001_smile: If y'all clean up, we'll see you next summer.

Here's part of the report.....

"Standout states include Delaware, New Hampshire and Virginia, which boast having pristine, nearly pollution-free shores. Virginians however should take note: Fairview Beach in King George County is certainly not one of those. According to Stoner, this beach is considered to be one of the worst offenders, particularly because it consistently fails more than 25 percent of its water quality tests."

I would say after Labor Day the crowds are much less in VaBch. You still have tourists but not the US ones with kids.

We have lived here 5 years this fall and it's about midOctober it suddenly cools off. So usually September is still warm. But come October any day it will get chillier.

I would say the warm part of the day is shorter in Sept/Oct though. You wouldn't get a full day at the beach....maybe a few good hours.

Have fun :-) We love the off season beach days!

Miss Julie,

Aren't you near King George? :glare:

I just wanted to point out that my DD is begging to go to the beach, and I considered the beaches near you but......they didn't get good ratings this year. Ummmm...we'll be going to Dawn's neck of the woods, thank you. :001_smile: If y'all clean up, we'll see you next summer.

Here's part of the report.....

"Standout states include Delaware, New Hampshire and Virginia, which boast having pristine, nearly pollution-free shores. Virginians however should take note: Fairview Beach in King George County is certainly not one of those. According to Stoner, this beach is considered to be one of the worst offenders, particularly because it consistently fails more than 25 percent of its water quality tests."

We are in Westmoreland, thank you (harrumph).

The beaches here, depend on where you go. Northern VA has a tendency to dump their sewage into the Potomac and King George, lucky us, tends to get the brut of it. We're further down river (KG filters our water).

I would not recommend our beaches if all you wanted was beaches, though. They tend to be small and quiet (not the woohoo of VA Beach if you know what I mean). One bonus, you can fossil hunt on the State Park's beach, and there are a lot of really cool finds there, and they let you keep them.

But no, the beaches we go to are not akin to KG. We use the private neighborhood beach by my mom's (one of the few with white sand and mainly brackish water from the lakes draining into it, meaning less Potomac pollution).