Menu

French Prep (STYWTL French) came..now what?

ChemMommy

It's shorter than I expected. How do you do your lessons? Do you repeat sections over several days? Break sections into smaller assignments over several days? HELP!

It is set up differently than I expected.

OTOH, the shipping from Book Depository was FAST! One week flat. Wow!

If you've used French Prep or Latin Prep or Spanish Prep, please chime in with your suggestions!! Pretty please!:001_smile:

:D Trust me I've tried. There are some sections that will take a few days for my kids to get and some sections we can do 2 or 3 or 4 at a time. It really is crazy for the schedule-maniac that I am. We use their Spanish, French and Latin and all have gone that way for us. The French I would say has been the hardest since no one in this house has much experience in French. I took it in high school but I was good at fudging my way through it and remember nothing useful.

I say aim for a book a year and it may happen but let it go if it doesn't. My dd first year with French she did the whole book twice. Book 2 was kicking her butt too but she has now managed to tame it some. For us the hard part has been the speaking components. If you know someone who speaks French bug the heck out of them!!!!

Good luck. We feel it is all worth the huge effort she is putting in all this.

HTHs,

And I took one look at French Prep and realized that this was not going to be easy to schedule. YIKES! I hate that!

OTOH, I like how they are teaching the material and the full-color format and variety of exercises is interesting.

I may just hire a once-a-week tutor to come over and speak French to my 3 girls who are studying French.

WHY, oh WHY can't foreign language instruction be more straightforward???

Sorry to hijack, but what age kids are you doing French Prep with? Dh just told me that he wants me to teach the kids French. Ack! I too studied it in high school, but can't really remember any of it. Would French Prep work with a 13yo and 11yo?

Sorry to hijack, but what age kids are you doing French Prep with? Dh just told me that he wants me to teach the kids French. Ack! I too studied it in high school, but can't really remember any of it. Would French Prep work with a 13yo and 11yo?

Patricia in WA might have a better opinion about how an 11yo could or could not handle French Prep.

Also, I think it would really matter if the parent is helping daily or just occasionally.

If I had two the ages of your children, I think I'd probably teach them together, even if that means the older one progresses slower than they would alone.

I have a 3rd, 4th, and 8th grader and that's too big an age span to combine. Sigh!!! BIG SIGH!

Oh good. The web site says that the 3yr course is intended for 5th-8th grade, so I thought the 13yo might be too far on the upper end of that spectrum for it to work for him. I would definitely want to teach them together. I'm trying to combine as much as I can. I've driven myself crazy the last couple of years trying to teach everyone separately.

Thanks.

I have a 3rd, 4th, and 8th grader and that's too big an age span to combine. Sigh!!! BIG SIGH!

I am using First Start French with those grades. My 4th grader and 8th grader are getting much more out of it than my 3rd grader, but at least he is getting exposure. And by having them all learning the same words, they use their vocab with each other and get practice in.

I look at the number of exercises in the book and divide it by the number of weeks in my year. That tells me how fast to move through.

My 12yo is moving through it fast and easily. My 9yo is doing it at half speed (half a book per year). FWIW I have a degree in French.

Laura