Menu

Any suggestions on baby backpacks?

We're taking the kiddos on a hiking type vacation. We need a way to carry our just turned 2yo. She's about 33" and 30+lbs. I'd really like DH to be able to carry her too and he's a big guy. And I think I'd like if it could be free standing on the ground. Any suggestions? Thanks!

We have both an older Kelty (bought used on e-bay) and an Ergo, and have used both for hiking. I like them both. The Kelty is nice for being able to put the kiddo down on the ground every now and again, and has a metal bar that makes it safe to lean against things to rest. The Ergo is very comfortable and lighter than the Kelty. Either one would be great. :)

We do a lot of hiking with the kids. The Kelty backpacks are nice for little ones but they tend to change your center of balance which can be dangerous. I love, love, love the Ergo for hiking. We used a kelty as babies then once the kids hit 18 months we switched to Ergos with them (before then having something freestanding is nice, after that point they don't want to stay in the backpack when it's off). The ergos are much easier when they constantly want to get up and down and are very comfortable. Our almost 5 year old still rides in one fairly often (she usually hikes a couple miles then wants a break).