Menu

Problems Running Teaching Textbooks on Vista?

astrid

We were using Teaching Textbooks last year and LOOOVED it. In July, the hard drive of the desktop computer (windows XP) on which it was installed bit the dust. We had a new hard drive installed, but also at the same time replaced my older laptop with a new one, which of course, came with Vista. :glare:

So we are gearing up for the new school year and I realize I've lost dd's entire gradebook, (no, I didn't back it up or print it out! :glare:) so we decided to install it on the new laptop. I had a heck of a time installing it, and it's running sloooow, which shouldn't be the case, since it's a pretty slick, NEW, quite fast computer.

Is this a Vista thing? It must be, right? I can't find anything in the documentation that came with TT (which I purchased NEW from the company, btw) about operating systems.

Any ideas? Anyone else have problems running it on Vista?

astrid

Is this a Vista thing? It must be, right? I can't find anything in the documentation that came with TT (which I purchased NEW from the company, btw) about operating systems.

Any ideas? Anyone else have problems running it on Vista?

astrid

YES!

It doesn't run on my mac (ran the audio, but not the visual), and it didn't run my my son's computer with Vista (at all), but it ran on my think pad with XP (with service pack 3).

So, I'm going to bet that yes, it's a Vista problem.

Hmmm.....do you think maybe I need an update or something? Updates usually install automatically when I shut down, but maybe there's something missing? I"ll uninstall and re-install; maybe that will help.

thanks for the replies!

astrid

We're running TT5 on a Vista with no problem. HOWEVER... when we first purchased our Vista, it did not run several programs and was slow. Turns out, (most) vistas come with only a half or one meg of RAM, and they run best on 3. :glare: So check your RAM, you likely need more memory to run it most efficiently. The updates are another possibility, but I know with ours, we needed more RAM.

Hmm....4 m of RAM here, so that's not it. Now I've tried to load it on my OLD laptop (which runs XP) and have exceeded the number of computers on the license key! OH BOY I hope I can get this sorted out tomorrow with a phone call to TT! I am NOT buying this all over again!

Thanks for the replies!

astrid