Menu

Winston Grammar

koko

I liked that my child liked it! He liked it because I did each lesson alongside of him and then we graded our papers together. We would lay out all of the cards on the table where we could both reach them and he would sort of cover his paper with his arm so I couldn't "cheat." LOL

Really, I liked the little cards, the lessons were always short (15-20 minutes including grading time), and there was plenty of review. I was pleasantly surprised to see my child looking forward to grammar and actually retaining the information we covered.

I haven't tried any other grammar programs (well, we used BJU English for two years which combines writing and grammar...) so I can't really compare it for you.

Nothing not to like, imho.

• thorough
  • clear instruction
  • no-fluff (b & w, no pics)
  • workbook
  • minimal physical writing
  • teaches to all learning styles
  • reasonably priced

And most importantly, our two oldest ds's learned more about grammar in one year and without frustration. In fact, our 12yo deemed it his "favorite subject" at one point. :)

My 2 cents,

We've just started using Winston two week ago. For my ADD child with weak fine motor skills I love the kinesthetic "hands-on" aspect of this program. The cards give it a kinda gamelike feel and we are definitely learning in a slower parts to whole kinda way. I am combining this program with FLL and WWE (starting next week).

I last tried Winston Grammar about fifteen years ago. We abandoned it immediately. Manipulatives just are not "our thing". DS and I found it an annoying program, just twiddling with pieces of stuff.

Several years later, I learned that Winston is a program used more successfully with LD children. So I felt better about considering it a "non-fit" for us. (Don't make the mistake of thinking that I have condescension toward LD conditions. I don't. Three of my kids have LD conditions, just not ones that require a Winston-type grammar program.)