Menu

Those who have chickens, I have a few questions about roosters

Finally I am getting some pullets tomorrow. I would not mind getting a rooster. I have about talked my husband into the idea of having a rooster. His fear is that we would end up with too many chickens. He is not the kind to want to be the one to butcher, my brother on the other hand has no problem with it. In fact my brother told me not to worry, he could raise my chicks for me, that they would make him a fine dinner when they got big. My brother tells me that a speckeld hamburg rooster would be more calm, and the big pretty roosters can be more agressive and spur. He says people of questionable ethics use them for fighting. I was getting a speckeled hamburg hen, and 3 other hens. I love beautiful hens, and would not mind a rare breed assortment. I was thinking to get a speckeled hamburg rooster. Can someone give me a little advice about getting a rooster? We have a nice coop with a big fenced in free range area for them. Would a rooster be a bad idea? My brother is never over run with chickens, but they eat theirs. Do you let the hen sit on a few eggs, and replace most with dummy eggs? I have never had a rooster.

My experience is limited, but the roosters we've had were MEAN. We have let the hens set and raise chicks, but since we mainly have hens for eggs, not meat, I don't want any roosters. We might raise some chicks again for the younger kids, but I'm not crazy about roosters. We have had Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. I'm sure different breeds can make a difference. My dh assures me he raised roosters when he was a kid that were not mean, but he hasn't convinced me yet.

Janet

I am going to get a rooster only because I have heritage Delawares (Which I adore to the moon and back) and I want to breed them and be exact in what genetic traits I want. I will eventually cull out my black sex linked pullets/Red Rockets and replace them with Delawares. And I've heard that the Delaware roos are wonderful, also. But just get ONE roo per coop.

I ate my first homegrown chicken last night, that I had to process myself, and it's not as bad as it seems. Actually, it was a very reverential meal. *g* Delicious beyond what I would have thought, and

the chicken soup tonight was amazing.

I just googled heritage Delawares they are beautiful. I really just wanted nice fresh eggs. Also I have to admit, I think hens are beautiful, I love to look at pictures of the different colors and patterns.

My brother did say road island red roosters were one o fthe more mean types. We do know someone who has some roosters, but I think they are road island red. I do not want a mean rooster, and it will only be one so I have to choose carefully.

I saw some rather expensive roosters on craigslist when I say expensive $375, $250, $125, $100. I assumed if you plan to breed, you get from a reputable hatchery? I have never seen such expensive roosters. The ad did not mention they were for showing in shows. If they were for showing wouldn't that be listed? On the same site they have chicks for $5 and up.

go on the backyard chickens forum and hook up with someone in your county-or someone that will ship.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/

I got my Delawares from a local who advertised there. 8 Bucks a chicken (they were 14 weeks old) but you can buy them as chicks for around two bucks.

And there are hatcherys, too, that sell heritage breeds. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/

Good luck!

In general, we have found that when our roosters get around 3 or 4 years old, they tend to get rather disagreeable and begin to chase the kids around and therefore deselect themselves from the gene pool.

Our Speckled Hamburg rooster hasn't been quite as bad, but he has tried to play "tough guy" a few times. He and dd's pug mix it up quite often. Usually with the dog running play circles around the rooster and him all fluffed up and spinning around in the center facing her. Then he gets so dizzy he falls over and we laugh hysterically. (We live on a farm at the end of a dead-end road, it doesn't take much to amuse us.) They chase each other often and it varies who is the chaser and who is the chasee.

We had chickens for many years without any of our hens getting broody and trying to hatch a nest of eggs, but last year we had a couple and this year they all seem to be trying it. Right now I have one sitting a nest in the flower box on the railing of my front porch deck.

We LOVE our rooster. Honestly. We were supposed to get six hens but "Martha" became "George". He's very sweet. He comes and rubs against my legs and lets me pet him. He's not as social w/the kids and dh, but not aggressive or mean at all. He's a New Hampshire red. He protects the hens and brings them out and home every night. If you give them a bunch of food (they love fruit!) he will let them eat first for a minute and then get something for himself. We had a dog from several streets away come into our yard one day and chase them. George took the hit and all the chickens were gone for a while. I was SO upset (surprised myself actually) to think he might be gone. But he's fine. Next time we get chickens we will definitely get a rooster and I'll probably do the New Hampshire red. We have a NH red hen as well and she's just as delightful.

Chickens are great...enjoy!