Menu

Flu-like symptoms

Dd, 12, has had an excruciating headache since yesterday afternoon. Since this morning she has been nauseated and has vomited once. Now this afternoon she has developed a low grade fever. (99.3 axillary) Complicating this she has type1 diabetes. I'm concerned she may have the flu. Does anyone know if this presentation is consistant with H1N1 flu? If it is, she needs Tamiflu now. If not, we would like to save her the trip to the urgent care facility.

Thanks for your help,

Lawana

I would take her in. I would want to check for menengitis among other things. It could just be a sinus infection, too.

She is so miserable, I'm trying to avoid taking her in if at all possible. Would like to know if others who have had/seen the flu recognized these symptoms. Thank for your reply.

My first thought was meningitis as well, because of the excruciating headache. I would take her in to be checked out just in case, especially since she has other health issues.

I did talk to the on-call ped. who asked about other symptoms related to meningitis. She doesn't have the stiff, sore neck you'd expect with meningitis.

I am more concerned that something is wrong neurologically but I am only a nurse. I would definitely take her in now to an emergency room IMHO.

Thanks!

I'd want a rx for tamiflu

My opinion - not medical advice, pls consult physician :-)

Physician consulted, thanks.