Menu

Favorite fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving books for younger kids?

melissel

I always realize too late that I should have ordered books from the library about the current season or holiday, and by then all the good stuff is taken. This year I'm starting early! :lol: Maybe we can all benefit. What books do you love and recommend for the coming season and holidays? They can be just for fun, science-y, history-oriented, etc. Chapter books are welcome too.

Off the top of my head, we love Room on the Broom, Big Pumpkin, Too Many Pumpkins, and the sweetest book called Thanksgiving With Me. I know of Cranberry Thanksgiving but haven't read it.

Please share if you can!

Sheep Trick or Treat is really, really funny

The Owl Babies is a great picture book that has always seemed to feel like fall to me.

Witch Mama by Caseley is not what it sounds like, and it's really good--it refers to a mother who dresses in costume for a school event for her Dd, and her toddler aged DS is a little nervous about her costume.

I read DD "Sqanto, Friend of the Pilgrims" when she was only about 5. It's not a picture book, but it's really easy.

I just did this last week!

For fall we ended up with:

Now It is Fall by Lois Lenski

Scarecrow by Cynthia Rant

Pumpkin Moonshine by Tasha Tudor

The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix Potter

The Year at Maple Hill Farm by Alice & Martin Provensen

Johnny Appleseed biography by Gini Holland

Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert

Pumpkin Day by Nancy Wallace

Autumn Story (Brambley Hedge) by Jill Barklem

In a Pumpkin Shell (Mother Goose rhymes about Fall)

For Thanksgiving we are going with:

The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dagliesh

If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern

Pilgrim's First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern

Samuel Eaton's Day (Plimoth Plantation Publication)

Along those lines, does anyone know the title of a book about a mouse who lives in a pumpkin and then it gets picked to be a jack-o-lantern? My mom said she loved reading it to us as kids in the Fall, but couldn't remember the title.

Others for autumn

Wild Child by Lynn Plourde is beautifully illustrated in wonderful fall colors.

Why Do Leaves Change Color by Betsy Maestro answers that important question and has some activities for pressing leaves and leaf rubbings.

How to Make and APple Pie and see the World - we read this a lot, but always in the fall at the start of school along with a trip to an apple orchard.

Eating the Plates: A Pilgrims Book of Food and Manners. Is a great book with a bit of history, culture, manners, and recipes. You could make a whole Thanksgiving or pilgrim unit around this

Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness is a wonderful and informative story of pilgrims and Thanksgiving although it makes me cry every time I read it.

Edited by Karen in CO