Menu

Are Veritas Press/CC Cards Necessary?

krw

Since deciding to follow the classical method via WTM, I was also drawn to CC but decided that I could do it on my own. However, I am still drawn to the idea of the history timeline and memorization cards. There's just something about having a set system for memorizing all of those details.

For those who have been doing this awhile, are these tools helpful, or will ds8 and eventually dd4 get the drill they need from the curriculum sources I'll already be using that follow the classical method? Also, I know the Veritas history timeline cards document biblical events. I am primarily a secular HS so want to know how crucial it would be if I chucked the idea buying the Veritas cards and did my own thing, leaving a lot of the biblical content out? We'll be starting with SOTW Ancients this year so will that cover most of those important foundational biblical events in history, or will I still need to add that in for a more well rounded grasp of history? If I need to add it in I might as well buy the cards, right?

I ask because I've found someone locally willing to sell me her cycle 1 memorization cards and all of the timeline cards for $65 - half of the original cost of everything new (unless someone here has a better offer:tongue_smilie:). Before I make this purchase I want to know if it is a wise purchase or can I do without?

krw

Well, here's the deal, most would say that many events you think of as "Bible History" actually occured. I mean, you don't have to say "Creation" if you don't believe that the earth started because of God, but many events are just...recorded.... So, I would say that you should at least just think of the cards as a Historical. Anyway, for us, if I were secular...I'd buy the cards and pull any that I just couldn't handle... I don't think it's worth the hassle of making up your own. $65 is a great price!! We use the 6x9 lamination pouches from Oregonlam.com for laminating them and rings from Flyboys.com because I punch the cards on the bottom and "let them fall" when we practice them. The rings are nice because they don't "bite" the cards.

Carrie:-)

Although they follow SOTW instead of VP, the cards that Hannah has made (her yahoo group is Hannahs Homeschool Helps) have been a big help here. There's info on the back, and she also has history sentences with the Ancient and (I think) the Medieval/Ren cards. They are not as detailed as the VP cards, but they work beautifully for us. We print them on cardstock and contact paper them. She also has timeline cards (without printing on the back) that we use, along with her template if I want to pull some other images off yahoo.images for our timeline. Very nice.

OTOH, the VP cards are quite nice, have the dates on them, and have good resale value.

we are starting CC this fall, and from my training classes, the VP cards seem to be needed. You drill the events on the cards, and activities you do to cement the drill include hanging them up while you say them, removing one while saying then removing the next, having the kids challenged to put them in the correct order. The artwork on the front can be really helpful for a child who is a more visual learner. While the cards have biblical events, there seemed to me to be more regular history events on them...VP also has a separate Bible cards program, which is not what we are using in CC. I think if you can get such a good deal on them, I would.

just my two cents.:)

You can print a nice set of memory cards for free from the Hannah's HS Helps yahoo group. She made them and generously shares. They are similar to the VP cards - a picture on the front with some basic facts on the back. They are synced with SOTW. She also has scientist sets, composer sets, etc.

Just a thought. In my experience, free isn't always better, but her material is nice quality. You can leave out any cards you want.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. For those using Hannah's cards and have seen or used the VP cards, I'm just wondering what is the biggest difference between the two? Hannah's cards look pretty well put together....I just don't want to feel like I'm "missing" something if I go with these vs. the VP cards. Of course with the free cards there will be the time, effort and $ I have to put into prepping the cards, but in the end it will still be cheaper than buying something similar.

With VP I am paying for quality and convenience because I won't have to do any work...yet again I'm not against doing the work if I can get comparable value for free. I tend to over analyze things and keep wondering if I'll be missing something if I go with the free cards, or if I pay for the VP if I will kick myself because it's so close in information that I could've gone with the free cards instead. :willy_nilly:

krw

Oh, forgot to ask....in looking at Hannah's free cards she has the larger type flashcards (rounded corners) with the information on the back, are the smaller square cards meant to be used in the same way the small VP memory cards are to be used? How do you use the sentences that are provided?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. For those using Hannah's cards and have seen or used the VP cards, I'm just wondering what is the biggest difference between the two? Hannah's cards look pretty well put together....I just don't want to feel like I'm "missing" something if I go with these vs. the VP cards. Of course with the free cards there will be the time, effort and $ I have to put into prepping the cards, but in the end it will still be cheaper than buying something similar.

With VP I am paying for quality and convenience because I won't have to do any work...yet again I'm not against doing the work if I can get comparable value for free. I tend to over analyze things and keep wondering if I'll be missing something if I go with the free cards, or if I pay for the VP if I will kick myself because it's so close in information that I could've gone with the free cards instead. :willy_nilly:

krw

I guess the better question is, if I'm following SOTW, which I am, are the VP necessary and/or would they be confusing since they are two different curriculums?

krw

I guess the better question is, if I'm following SOTW, which I am, are the VP necessary and/or would they be confusing since they are two different curriculums?

krw

I tried to merge SOTW and VP cards for a couple of years and found that I tended to then end up with a list of things to cover that wasn't managable.

My suggestion is to pick one or the other that will be your dominant scheduling factor and let the other just be there as extra.

So for example, you might use the VP cards for scheduling, spending one week per card and then read the SOTW chapter that matched the card you are doing, even if this means skipping around a bit.

Or you could use the SOTW for your scheduling and just use the VP cards and/or song as an extra memory tool, without trying to also do everything on the cards.

I just found that trying to do full justice to both programs was too much of a good thing.

I don't think they would be confusing.

We use the Veritas Timeline cards through Classical Conversations. We don't try to match the timeline cards up to anything we are studying, but instead learn all 160 each year. Once you go through them once or twice the connections are then made within other subjects. They sort of act as a framework to build upon when learning other subjects.

Now, that said...we don't do much with the timeline cards except for memorize the dates and briefly read the descriptions on the back.

I tried to merge SOTW and VP cards for a couple of years and found that I tended to then end up with a list of things to cover that wasn't managable.

My suggestion is to pick one or the other that will be your dominant scheduling factor and let the other just be there as extra.

I just found that trying to do full justice to both programs was too much of a good thing.

Sebastian - This is the exact type of feedback I was looking for - thank you!

TwinMominTX - Since SOTW is my history curriculum of choice, it probably makes more sense to use timeline cards that closely follow this curriculum. As with the VP cards I can add to them if I need to.

I will probably still purchase the VP memory cards for the drill because it covers other subjects besides history, but use Hannah's free timeline cards. I appreciate your feedback. Where in TX are you? I'm in the Houston area.

krw