Menu

FAFSA Question

Pam in MA

We're just starting highschool at home this year and I have a question about diplomas and financial aid. As I understand it, I don't have to worry about getting a high school diploma to apply to colleges as long as we have met entrance requirements as shown by our transcript, SAT, SATII, etc. But if we want to apply for financial aid at a school, which requires the FAFSA form, that requires either a GED or a high school diploma. If we don't want to take the GED for various reasons, is a high school diploma, issued by our homeschool, acceptable? Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

We're just starting highschool at home this year and I have a question about diplomas and financial aid. As I understand it, I don't have to worry about getting a high school diploma to apply to colleges as long as we have met entrance requirements as shown by our transcript, SAT, SATII, etc. But if we want to apply for financial aid at a school, which requires the FAFSA form, that requires either a GED or a high school diploma. If we don't want to take the GED for various reasons, is a high school diploma, issued by our homeschool, acceptable? Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

They do not ask to see a diploma. I made my diploma for my children months after we applied for FAFSA.

Even colleges have only asked for a transcript. It has a date of graduation on it, and that is as close to a diploma as they get. :)

Here is our diploma, if you are interested.

http://shadesofwhite.typepad.com/shades_of_white/2009/03/homeschool-high-school-diploma-sample.html

Jean

For entering freshman, most don't have a diploma before filling out the FAFSA. That is because you do it in the winter before you go to a given year of college. Obviously for most, the year before college in as a senior in high school whether that be a regular brick high school or homeschool. It just means that you have to have a high school diploma or GED to get federal aid. SInce you don't get the aid until they are in college, your child will have a diploma-- from you.

Our experience has been that most of the time a parent issued diploma, transcript and test scores are enough. However, you might want to check the requirements of any particular scholarship that you might want to apply for. For example, New Mexico does not recognize parent diplomas for awarding state lottery funded scholarship money which covers tuition at state colleges and universities. So even though I have some reservations, ds took time out of his first day of classes to register for the GED.