please post your favorite vegetarian recipes

Spinach Pie Parma

2 Cups garlic onion croutons

1/4 cup melted butter or marg.

1 10oz box frozen spinach, thawed and well drained

3 large eggs beaten

1 cup small curd cottage cheese

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup parmesan cheese + 2 TB (set aside)

2 TB sour cream

2-3 cloves garlic pressed

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp red pepper (or pepper flakes)

4 oz shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, mozzerella - really any variety works)

crush croutons and mix with butter. Press into the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Mix everything else (except the 2 TB of parmesan cheese) until well blended. Pour over the crust and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top directly after you remove it from the oven.

Honestly, we do stir fry most days of the week. The rice takes 20 minutes in the rice cooker, and lasts us all day long. Sometimes we use noodles, which cook in under five minutes. And then we just throw random vegetables into a hot pan. In general we aim for 3-4 different colors. It's easy enough to add in a protein to the final dish, too, for any non-veg*n eaters at the table.

The beauty is that the process and the general prep stays the same - but we can come up with completely different dishes by changing up the ingredients. Nobody (here) gets bored. But then again ::grin:: we're Asian and a former Asian restaurant family so the same dishes ad nauseum don't tend to bother us :)

I prefer just to water saute and add a drizzle of sesame oil for flavor, but my kids like teriyaki sauce, plum sauce, miso, and other sauces. There are so many options. Even non-Asian options, such as butter or olive oil drizzled over stirfried/sauteed veggies and served over noodles for a primavera Italian meal.

Our other standby is beans and rice. We eat them mixed (with diced veggies) or mixed with dry oats to form into patties (and sauteed into beancakes that can be eaten hot or cold, straight from the fridge).

We eat veg several times a week. We are not fancy. We do common without meat. Pasta, salad, quiche, soup, stew, stir fry, burrito, tortilla. Same foods, just without meat. On the grill we do Smart Dogs, Amy's burgers, portobello mushrooms, chunks of peppers & squashes, potatoes, corn etc. In summer, we often have veggie or portobello burgers with a big old salad, some corn & grilled veggies, with a watermelon chaser. I like to add garbanzo or other beans to salads. It's tasy and filling.

Think of what you like, and make it without meat.

I've found that some folks who might balk some at lentil burgers will eat a nice potato/corn chowder. I always suggest making what you like, but limiting the meat at first, and then entirely.

Edited by LibraryLover

I just got Cooking By the Cross, a cookbook that is all meatless meals, and we have really liked everything in it:

http://www.emmanuelbooks.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=1236

It is a Catholic cookbook, but of course, that doesn't make any differnence for the actual recipes. Catholics are asked to do meatless meals during Lent on Fridays, and many Catholics do this year-round. So this book gives 52 meatless meals. All of them that we have tried are family-friendly, use easy-to-find ingredients, are easy to make.

My absolute favorite is a potato poblano dish that we got from Mark Bittman. Below is the video and there is a link to the recipe somewhere. The pablanos are the most important part, but my DH doesn't like spicy or very hot (I'd call them medium), so we don't use about 1/2 of the poblano and add roasted red peppers for color. Another tip is to fix a bunch of poblano and then freeze them in quantities to use in the recipe. Since fixing the poblanoes is the step that makes me put off making the recipe, if I can just pull them out of the freezer it makes it easier.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/04/22/dining/1194817121744/sabrinas-tortillas.html

Edited by OrganicAnn