Menu

Nature journals - what do you use?

tinkgumby

For those of you who do nature journals with your kids, what have you had success with? Blank sketchbooks? Lined notebooks? Graph paper (for borders and stuff)? Pre-printed pages from Barb's site or a pre-made nature journal from a store?

I'm all ears. :bigear: We're planning on starting next week, and I can't decide which way to go. I think a blank page might be intimidating to a young child not confident in their artistic skills, but I also don't want to stifle creativity.

We are doign the Outdoor Hour challenges on the Handbook of Nature Study blog and on this page there is a link to some notebook pages that can be used with the program, but they are pretty basic and can be used with any kind of nature study that you are doing. The site that hosts the pages is updating, but you can find a link to these pages toward the end of this blog post.

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/2008/02/green-hour-challenge-1-lets-get-started.html

For those of you who do nature journals with your kids, what have you had success with? Blank sketchbooks? Lined notebooks? Graph paper (for borders and stuff)? Pre-printed pages from Barb's site or a pre-made nature journal from a store?

I'm all ears. :bigear: We're planning on starting next week, and I can't decide which way to go. I think a blank page might be intimidating to a young child not confident in their artistic skills, but I also don't want to stifle creativity.

We just use blank sketchbooks now. But when my kids were younger we used to take a clipboard with lots of loose blank paper for drawings for our nature walks. Then when we got home, the kids would put their drawings they had sketched on that loose paper into the science section of their binder notebook. The binder notebook had page protectors and they would slip their papers into these. Sketchbooks are easier though. :)

Kim

ds 11

dd 8

dd almost 4

I spent quite some time researching Nature Journals for my dc this summer. I ended up purchasing Nature Portfolio. We haven't used it yet (school is starting in mid September) but I do like the looks of it and the reading list that's included. You can check it out here:

http://www.homeschooljourney.com/aNature2.html

Best of luck in finding something that works for you.

I thought maybe you might be interested in viewing the Flickr group that the Outdoor Hour participants have put together showing their nature journal samples.

Outdoor Hour Nature Journal -ages 8 and under

Outdoor Hour Nature Journal -ages 9 and up (including adults)

You are all welcome to join these groups and add your nature journal samples...the more the merrier.

Also here is our family's nature journal samples showing a variety of ideas both in sketch books and in nature notebooks.

Nature Journal Set-examples

These sets should give you some ideas of how to use many different kinds of journals to record your outdoor experiences.

We use the notesketch journals that rainbow resource sells. The sturdy pages are half blank, half lined. They come in two different sizes and choice of half page or column styles. When we go on a nature walk I leave it open for the children to choose what they want to write/draw about. We look up species information in the Audubon California Guide.

We're using these from Acorn Naturalists. I like that there are both lined and blank pages, and inspirational quotes sprinkled throughout. Once we finish them, we'll probably just make our own since the boys have been on a notebook making kick lately. They've been making these, which are perfect for just about everything and can be completely customized.