Menu

Workbox users: How long is it taking you to fill the boxes??

funschooler5

I've been using workboxes since the spring, but since we've started our new school year a couple of weeks ago, it's been taking me longer and longer to fill the boxes. Last night it took me almost an hour, and that's about average. I'm only doing them for my older two kids (a 4th and 6th graders).

Here's what I do: Each evening after dinner, I collect all of the boxes (I'm trying to get the kids to bring them to my desk regularly but they always forget one or two so I usually round them up). I go through their work and correct it...some of it I've already gone over during the day, but I check over worksheets and things that I need an answer key for in the evening. Then I fill the boxes with new work. This seems to take me the longest, because I write post-its on almost everything. My 4th grader has sensory issues and is very easily distracted, so I like to spell everything out for him as much as possible. And even then, during the day I have to monitor him closely to make sure he stays on task.

I do have weekly schedule I go by, but for some reason this is not making the box-filling any faster. I'm trying to figure out why it's taking me so much longer than it did in the spring. The kids do have a little more work to do, but not much. Here's what each of them did today:

6th Grader:

• Math (Teaching Textbooks, so no paperwork there)
  • Grammar (Growing with Grammar)
  • Writing Strands
  • Mind Benders
  • History (typing a short summary of 2 pages of Kingfisher History Encyclopedia)
  • History (Typing a short summary of Beowulf...normally there wouldn't be 2 papers to type for history, but she didn't finish this yesterday)
  • Flute Practice
  • Outside play
  • Science (The Elements)
  • History reading (Celtic fairy tales)

4th Grader:

• Math (TT)
  • Grammar (GWG)
  • Writing Strands
  • Mind Benders
  • Reading (2 chapters from the Enormous Egg)
  • History (typing his SOTW narration)
  • Copywork (from The Hobbit)
  • Outside play
  • Science (The Elements)
  • History Reading (Beowulf)
  • Keyboard (piano) practice

How do you schedule your workboxes? I'm finding I constantly have to change things...if something doesn't get finished from the day before, or one of my kids needs help with a certain subject and has to do something over. The box filling is taking up so much time my DH is starting to complain about it. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

My kiddos are little but we are using workboxes and i am finding them quite quick to fill. A couple of tips that may or may not help -

Let the kids work until the boxes are completed then there is no hang over. If you don't get to the last box because you have an outing or whatever too bad, so sad. You could reschedule that box for the weekend, the kids might be more motivated to keep moving or you could just skip it until the next time that subject is scheduled.

I have a weekly planner so i don't have to think what to put in the boxes i just look at the plan. I keep some of my plans the same so when i am doing a reading lesson with DS DD is on the computer, this is always the same.

Are you able to check their work off more during the day? That would be a time saver. I make sure the work is marked before moving to the next box. Not so easy with writing assignments but math etc would be quick.

Could you make an inbox so the kids need to empty the contents of the box into the inbox and return the box to the shelf? We leave everything in the box and i change out at the end of the day, works for us. The boxes always go back.

I keep my instructions sheets from one day to the next and try to keep it broad. Maybe you could use a page protector and type up the general instructions but dry erase marker in the specific stuff where you have left space?

I probably spend 15 to 20mins filling boxes and do it during add breaks. OK, i know my kiddos are little and none of this might work just trying to be helpful.

Is there anything that you are writing over and over again on Post-it notes that you could just type up and laminate and stick with the work they're doing? Anything you can write or type up ahead of time will save you precious time in the evenings as you're filling boxes.

Is there any way you can go over their work earlier in the day? I saw you said you already did some of it, but if you're trying to pare down time . . .

How do you have things organized before they go into the boxes? Are they in order and handy?

What if you wrote out all instructions for the week on Sunday evening or something, and then just had to put the instructions with their work each evening?

Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you . . . just trying to brainstorm here! Good luck!

My kiddos are little but we are using workboxes and i am finding them quite quick to fill. A couple of tips that may or may not help -

Let the kids work until the boxes are completed then there is no hang over. If you don't get to the last box because you have an outing or whatever too bad, so sad. You could reschedule that box for the weekend, the kids might be more motivated to keep moving or you could just skip it until the next time that subject is scheduled.

I have a weekly planner so i don't have to think what to put in the boxes i just look at the plan. I keep some of my plans the same so when i am doing a reading lesson with DS DD is on the computer, this is always the same.

Are you able to check their work off more during the day? That would be a time saver. I make sure the work is marked before moving to the next box. Not so easy with writing assignments but math etc would be quick.

Could you make an inbox so the kids need to empty the contents of the box into the inbox and return the box to the shelf? We leave everything in the box and i change out at the end of the day, works for us. The boxes always go back.

I keep my instructions sheets from one day to the next and try to keep it broad. Maybe you could use a page protector and type up the general instructions but dry erase marker in the specific stuff where you have left space?

I probably spend 15 to 20mins filling boxes and do it during add breaks. OK, i know my kiddos are little and none of this might work just trying to be helpful.

An inbox is a great idea! Right now I tell them to put their assignments on their desk in their rooms, but because we do some subjects at the kitchen table together, things always end up scattered. I could have a place to put their books when they're finished too. The page protector w/ markers idea is great too, because I do usually have general instructions, and then have to add details afterward. Thanks!

Is there anything that you are writing over and over again on Post-it notes that you could just type up and laminate and stick with the work they're doing? Anything you can write or type up ahead of time will save you precious time in the evenings as you're filling boxes.

Is there any way you can go over their work earlier in the day? I saw you said you already did some of it, but if you're trying to pare down time . . .

How do you have things organized before they go into the boxes? Are they in order and handy?

What if you wrote out all instructions for the week on Sunday evening or something, and then just had to put the instructions with their work each evening?

Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you . . . just trying to brainstorm here! Good luck!

Laminating or sheet-protectors would help me a lot I think...I've been trying to save and re-use my Post-its over again, but that's been creating a bigger mess for me (they get scattered around, or stick to things they aren't supposed to). I definitely need to work on keeping everything organized. It starts organized, but then at the end of the day, chaos insues...I'm rushing around gathering boxes and books, and everything goes on my desk in a heap until after dinner. I have a nice neat bookshelf where I keep curriculum only, but I end up stacking it on my desk (a folding table used only for workboxes/correcting schoolwork) thinking having it out will make it easier. Now that I think about it, I should just put them away where they go so I know right away where everything is.

Thanks for the suggestions! If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to know how others are doing this. Really, workboxes have really changed the way I homeschool (for the better).

This is how I've done it for my ds 13 on a 1/3 trial basis for part of the summer. The true test will come when we start on Monday but there might be something here you can use!

I have a long table with 8 magazine holders for workboxes and 3 stackable trays. Each workbox holds textbooks/workbooks, video, etc. and a pocket folder color coordinated with a 3 ring binder I keep on a shelf.

I let my ds decorate the outside with whatever he wanted as long as he had the title of the subject visible. On the inside the left pocket is labeled "Do" and the right side is labeled "Done".

Every evening I load what ever paper he needs into the left side. During the day when he is done he puts the assignment for that specific subject into the right side pocket and puts it on the top tray labeled "Inbox."

While he is on to the next subject I grade his work. If it is incomplete or needs corrections I put it back in the "Do" side and put it on the middle tray labeled "Homework."

If it is completed satisfactorily I put it on the "Done" side and put the folder on the bottom tray labeled "Outbox" and he knows to look at it and then put it away in the color coordinated binder for that particular subject.

He leaves the workboxes on the table and just pulls out what he needs and goes wherever he wants to work on it. If he needs my help he knows to stay close by. He leaves the binders on the shelf until he needs to file something.

With this system the workboxes are never empty but he does get to pull off the Velcro number from the workbox to represent it has been completed. He puts the numbers in a little basket. If he has homework in a subject I put the number back on so he knows he has more to do in that subject, which will be completed after school ends on his own time. :tongue_smilie:

This way all I have to do is switch out a book here or there and fill his pocket folders. By the way I print all worksheets at one time on Sunday for the whole week and file them in a hanging file system. Every hanging file is a box and every file folder represents a curriculum or type of worksheet.

For example: the first hanging file is box #1 Math. The file folders are labeled multiplication worksheets, division worksheets, reducing fractions, etc.

Another example: the second hanging file is box #2 History (3 days) and Geography (2 days). The file folders are labeled "Beautiful Feet," "Geography Maps," "Geography Notebook Pages," "World Country Recipes," etc.

I know what needs to go in the milk crate for the week because I print the weekly schedule using Homeschool Tracker Plus. One copy is for Noah and I place my copy in a homemade teacher planner. My planner also has a syllabus for each class, daily schedule, and place to record what actually happened daily.

I've been working myself to death over putting all of this in place but I think it will save my sanity in the long run. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask...I'm proud of my little baby!!! :lol:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

This is how I've done it for my ds 13 on a 1/3 trial basis for part of the summer. The true test will come when we start on Monday but there might be something here you can use!

I have a long table with 8 magazine holders for workboxes and 3 stackable trays. Each workbox holds textbooks/workbooks, video, etc. and a pocket folder color coordinated with a 3 ring binder I keep on a shelf.

I let my ds decorate the outside with whatever he wanted as long as he had the title of the subject visible. On the inside the left pocket is labeled "Do" and the right side is labeled "Done".

Every evening I load what ever paper he needs into the left side. During the day when he is done he puts the assignment for that specific subject into the right side pocket and puts it on the top tray labeled "Inbox."

While he is on to the next subject I grade his work. If it is incomplete or needs corrections I put it back in the "Do" side and put it on the middle tray labeled "Homework."

If it is completed satisfactorily I put it on the "Done" side and put the folder on the bottom tray labeled "Outbox" and he knows to look at it and then put it away in the color coordinated binder for that particular subject.

He leaves the workboxes on the table and just pulls out what he needs and goes wherever he wants to work on it. If he needs my help he knows to stay close by. He leaves the binders on the shelf until he needs to file something.

With this system the workboxes are never empty but he does get to pull off the Velcro number from the workbox to represent it has been completed. He puts the numbers in a little basket. If he has homework in a subject I put the number back on so he knows he has more to do in that subject, which will be completed after school ends on his own time. :tongue_smilie:

This way all I have to do is switch out a book here or there and fill his pocket folders. By the way I print all worksheets at one time on Sunday for the whole week and file them in a hanging file system. Every hanging file is a box and every file folder represents a curriculum or type of worksheet.

For example: the first hanging file is box #1 Math. The file folders are labeled multiplication worksheets, division worksheets, reducing fractions, etc.

Another example: the second hanging file is box #2 History (3 days) and Geography (2 days). The file folders are labeled "Beautiful Feet," "Geography Maps," "Geography Notebook Pages," "World Country Recipes," etc.

I know what needs to go in the milk crate for the week because I print the weekly schedule using Homeschool Tracker Plus. One copy is for Noah and I place my copy in a homemade teacher planner. My planner also has a syllabus for each class, daily schedule, and place to record what actually happened daily.

I've been working myself to death over putting all of this in place but I think it will save my sanity in the long run. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask...I'm proud of my little baby!!! :lol:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Wow, your system sounds great! I have been printing things out on Sunday to get ready for the week, but one of my problems is not having a good place to keep them organized. Right now I just put them in piles on my desk (one for each child, so the subjects are all together). I do have an accordian style file folder that isn't being used, I think I could us that to separate the subjects (numbering them is a great idea, I always have to look up which things we're doing on which days in my planner). A longer table would be nice too, my folding table just isn't cutting it!

Thanks for all the advice...I really need help, as I've never been very organized. I'm finding as my kids get older, I need to get more organized!

I decided that I didn't want to fill them each day and I wanted to give the children choices on the fun activities. So I will fill them this afternoon after school is over.

For my oldest who can do some independent work, I used looseleaf paper, divided it up into 4 sections labeled for each school day, wrote down what she was supposed to do and then added work with mom, all together, ask mom for help getting started and do by yourself tags so she would know what's what.

I am thinking of printing off and laminating cards that show work with mom, etc. on them.

It took me about an hour a box to fill it and write out directions. For the boxes for language arts, math or other games I let them pick out several file folder games and we put them in there for the child to choose from. They liked having choices.

I hope you find what works for you.:001_smile:

We use a seriously tweaked version of the workboxes. Each child has his own file box with hanging folders with the velcro numbers on each file.

I do most of the filling only once a week. In a lot of their subjects, they do a lesson a day so I just leave the ETC workbook inside my 5 yr old's workbox and he knows to do the next lesson with me. My 11 yr old is pretty independent and only comes to me when he needs help or when we work together on English and math.

Really the only thing I'm having to refill each day are the art boxes because of the different materials used each day and the *fun* boxes. However even in some of the fun boxes, I have a small variety of things to be chosen from so I don't have to fill them every day.

Usually it takes me 15 minutes to empty and file their paperwork, then refill the boxes where needed.

We have only been using the workboxes for three weeks so I'm still tweaking a bit. I am thinking about creating a to-do list for each folder just to help keep everyone on track even more. Just a simple list that shows what is to be done *next* in each subject so they can check off each day what they have done to cut down on having to look through binders to remember what the next lesson is. Plus at a glance I will be able to see how we are progressing.

I just have to say how organized the workbox system makes me feel!! Probably the best change we've made in our homeschool!! Everyone, including me, knows how much work is left to do at any given time during our day. No more trying to remember what's left.

:D

It takes me about 15 minutes to fill the boxes. Of course I don't check work then, each child has a folder that they put their completed work in and I check that in the evening at a different time, but even that only takes 10 minutes or so. I just drop books in the file folders and anything special they may need and that's it. I don't put paper and pencils in each notebook either as they have all of that in their supply box and paper folder. It works pretty well for us and takes almost no prep time at all.

We use a seriously tweaked version of the workboxes. Each child has his own file box with hanging folders with the velcro numbers on each file.

This is what I'm doing, too. We've only een at it 3 days, and right now it is taking me longer to fill the workboxes, buy mostly b/c of ds4.5. He doesn't have "subjects" so I am having to come up with stuff every day. It's getting easier each day, though.

I made 3x5 cards with each day's subjects on it (one card for each day) for my dd7's box, and then I put a ring through them to keep them together, which I keep in my "organizing/sorting" box. Something like that might be quicker than a planner for reference, especially if you plan on having the same subjects each week. I also have a "done" folder for the kids to put their finished pages in (which has helped a lot), and have been having them stack their books on a shelf when they are finished with those.

Hope that is a little helpful.

That way, I'm not having to pull out new work every day. Also, I use HST+ and print off a week's worth of assignments (in calendar form) and put that in the box on Monday as well.

I'm still trying to figure out all the best ways to streamline filling the boxes, but these are working so far.

I am with my 2nd grader almost the whole day. So I see his work as he does it. I don't have to correct it at the end, so it literally takes me 5 mins to pull out his new worksheets and to put his velcro stickers back on the drawers.

My 5th grader works almost entirely on his own. So he just does his work, takes the velcro stickers off, and puts the work back in the drawer. Then after school or dinner (whenever I have the time), I correct his work. Since he is older, I just have the workbooks in his drawers, then I have an assignment book beside the dresser that has the next specific assignment and a card in the drawer with a generic assignment.

For the specific assignments, I have semester planners from Donna Young, with all his assignments for the year printed out. For the generic assignment card, science might read- M- read text, T- do vocab and extra reading, W- write 2-3 paragraphs about what you learned, R- do experiment.

There is nothing to refill in his, but it takes me 30-60 mins to get it all corrected and to make notes to let him know if he needs to fix it, just look over it, or see me for additional help the next day.

I have also started to alternate my kids, the 5th and 9th grader. I only check their work every 2 days. The 5th grader on MW and the 9th grader on TR. Then it is just an hour a night or less of correcting.

Me three! :D We just don't have room for all those boxes so I picked up some Sterilite hanging file milk crates (in kiwi green!). A side-note for those wanting to get boxes: Fred Meyer has the shoebox size on sale for 99 cents ea. this week. I like the idea of filling weekly, and I'm going to steal that other idea of the "Do/Done" folder with the Inbox inbetween. I just reached the bottom of my box of hanging file folders and I put the base of the box inside the lid to make it sturdier & am going to cover it w/ fabric or adhesive shelf paper (that we already have on-hand) this weekend - that will be my inbox. We're already using it as-is for now to keep papers corralled.

I don't have alot of advice on cutting down time on filling boxes, however. Sorry. I'm only on day 4 here and haven't graded any papers. I'm used to grading on the weekends, but am seeing that certain things need to be graded daily (math, for one). It's definately a great idea, because it forces me to look over the next day's work. For my own 'teacher notes' that wouldn't go in the student's file/box, I've been keeping a daily schedule for ea. child w/ notes to myself there. I just jot stuff down in a spiral notebook & leave the back of the page blank to note things as we go throughout the day (such as, "ds8 needs to practice 6 multiplication tables", then I know to schedule that in the next day). For the kids I print off daily schedules I made in Excel. It just tells them what they're doing, and when. I'd love to let them choose what order to do their work in, but for now with them both needing so much one-on-one instruction, I have to schedule my bouncing back and forth between them carefully. I don't like them sitting there doing nothing with the excuse that they're waiting for me to get done with their sibling. This system helps with that because I have listed on their daily schedules things that they can do on their own, or that only take a little bit of getting started with me.

I have a question while we're on the subject: I've got oversized tabs that I made w/ construction paper covered w/ clear contact sheets on both sides for the numbers. How do I get the velcro to stick to that, or even to something laminated for that matter? Are you all using the adhesive velcro dots, or something else? TIA!

I've been using workboxes since the spring, but since we've started our new school year a couple of weeks ago, it's been taking me longer and longer to fill the boxes. Last night it took me almost an hour, and that's about average. I'm only doing them for my older two kids (a 4th and 6th graders).

Here's what I do: Each evening after dinner, I collect all of the boxes (I'm trying to get the kids to bring them to my desk regularly but they always forget one or two so I usually round them up). I go through their work and correct it...some of it I've already gone over during the day, but I check over worksheets and things that I need an answer key for in the evening. Then I fill the boxes with new work. This seems to take me the longest, because I write post-its on almost everything. My 4th grader has sensory issues and is very easily distracted, so I like to spell everything out for him as much as possible. And even then, during the day I have to monitor him closely to make sure he stays on task.

I do have weekly schedule I go by, but for some reason this is not making the box-filling any faster. I'm trying to figure out why it's taking me so much longer than it did in the spring. The kids do have a little more work to do, but not much. Here's what each of them did today:

6th Grader:

• Math (Teaching Textbooks, so no paperwork there)

• Grammar (Growing with Grammar)

• Writing Strands

• Mind Benders

• History (typing a short summary of 2 pages of Kingfisher History Encyclopedia)

• History (Typing a short summary of Beowulf...normally there wouldn't be 2 papers to type for history, but she didn't finish this yesterday)

• Flute Practice

• Outside play

• Science (The Elements)

• History reading (Celtic fairy tales)

4th Grader:

• Math (TT)

• Grammar (GWG)

• Writing Strands

• Mind Benders

• Reading (2 chapters from the Enormous Egg)

• History (typing his SOTW narration)

• Copywork (from The Hobbit)

• Outside play

• Science (The Elements)

• History Reading (Beowulf)

• Keyboard (piano) practice

How do you schedule your workboxes? I'm finding I constantly have to change things...if something doesn't get finished from the day before, or one of my kids needs help with a certain subject and has to do something over. The box filling is taking up so much time my DH is starting to complain about it. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

we have a weekly schedule too. But I involve my kids in filling them if we didn't get them re-loaded the night before and we're not starting anything new.