Menu

Children at the Dinner Table

I make one meal. However, if it is something the kids don't want then they are welcome to prepare their own dinner. Sometimes they do. But they had input when we designed our monthly meal plan and they have input whenever I put together my grocery list. So, it usually isn't a huge issue in our house. I make sure I buy the veggies I know they like and every once in awhile we encourage them to try one they think they don't like just in case their taste buds have changed. I never make them clean their plates. If they're hungry they'll eat. If they're not hungry they shouldn't be forced to shovel it all in.

I expect good table manners but don't always get them. On the topic of eating meals in front of them, though, I disagree. We have such a history of obesity in my family that I try to make food a non-issue. If they don't like what I'm making (and have at least tried a bit) then they can grab a yogurt or cheese stick and some fruit maybe some crackers or bread. This happens about half of the time.

Whoever cooks in our house decides on the meal (though we usually meal plan for the week).. everyone must eat it or sit through dinner pleasantly, we don't make custom meals. However, this rule is really because of my husband - his mom made him custom meals (she still does when we visit) and he eats NOTHING...He doesn't eat the meals, but has to pretend so our ds learns to try everything pleasantly (practice for visiting friends house). You only have to "eat" everything is you want dessert - otherwise if you don't eat, none of us care, no one is going to starve by missing a meal. Manners are expected and we all work on it together - you know its working when your son calls you out about not using your napkin... :-)

I had a neighbor ask me if we ate together as a family.. yep everyday.. she was surprised.. they never eat as a family. To each their own, I was required to show manners and eat dinner and through my life it has served me very well. My son actually hates chicken nuggets and kid food, and I really believe its because we never really gave it to him..this does not serve us well when we go to a restaurant, since that is the only food they serve for kids...oh, well, we all try our best.