Menu

Mapping the World through Art is now available

Melissa B

• 1 month later...

I think it is a great program. I don't know if she has posted a sample of the DVD lessons, but they are even better than the written material. She talks during the drawing lessons and adds little tidbits of history, culture and art along with the actual drawing lessons. And there is more info added to the drawing lesson than in the written lessons I downloaded earlier. She includes the current names of the countries, the names of current cities and mountain ranges, etc.

We aren't moving too quickly as I am combining it with history so only plan to work through the first ten or so lessons this year. The kids are enjoying it and it helps cement the geography of the areas being studied in history. I let the kids watch the lesson several times over a couple of weeks while they practice drawing the area. They see it as a break in their day and more of a fun drawing lesson, but I am noticing that they are retaining the names and spellings of geographical features as well. There is also a history lesson and additional activities to go along with each lesson. For fun, I let the kids make a Polynesian map of their rooms using sticks and shells.

This program has been one of my favorite additions to our curriculum this year. :thumbup:

So far so good. I really like the DVD companion. We read the history selection together and discuss, then watch the DVD and draw along with Ms. McHenry pausing the DVD when we need to. We haven't done any of the hands on projects so far. The first few are similar to ones we completed the first time around in the history cycle (making cuniform tablets). We're doing it on Friday and hope to complete it this year.

The author/artist has 3 samples of her DVD art lessons available on youtube. You can link through her site, then on the Mapping book.

www.ellenjmchenry.com (Sorry, I haven't learned to link directly yet.)

She has lots of cool free stuff to download and print. I want to make the brain hat! I am saving up for Mapping and Elements to use come January.