Menu

do I want to make homemade tortillas?

Yes, because I am routinely complimented on my bread, which I make by hand. :D

See? We all have our skill set. I'm a cook, not a baker. I overmix, overknead, my yeast won't proof, I have just come to terms with my lack of baking skills.

Ok, I am going to display my ignorance here, so if you laugh at me please do so discreetly. Tortillas are used to make burritos, right? So if you make small tortillas, the burritos are going to be tiny, correct? One of the reasons I hated making tortillas is because I hated having to roll them out so huge. I am not handy with a rolling pin.

My tortillas are more soft taco sized. When we have them for lunch we put on rice and beans, avocado, etc and just fold them in half, like a taco. But I most often make them as a side dish to accompany salsa chicken (chicken baked in my homemade salsa) or rice and beans. In that case we just eat them as bread, not as something to be filled.

See? We all have our skill set.

My main problem is that I have no skills. I had a big thread about it on my Facebook page. I compared myself to Napoleon Dynamite ... in need of skills. Although at least he has the boots.

When we have them for lunch we put on rice and beans, avocado, etc and just fold them in half, like a taco.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how that would fly with my posse. They like burritos to be burritoed. But I'll give it a try because, even though Trader Joe's has good tortillas, they are $2 for 10.

Tara

My main problem is that I have no skills. I had a big thread about it on my Facebook page. I compared myself to Napoleon Dynamite ... in need of skills. Although at least he has the boots.

Making great bread takes serious skills. Don't fool yourself! Maybe it doesn't compare to nunchuck skills or liger training but it's still a skill. ;)

Making great bread takes serious skills. Don't fool yourself! Maybe it doesn't compare to nunchuck skills or liger training but it's still a skill. ;)

Thanks! Even my husband, who is generally very supportive, was only able to come up with a mumbled "You're ... um ... good at learning stuff ..." because I like to read. :001_huh:

This thread has made me so hungry for tortillas that I changed our dinner plans (but I am cheating and using Trader Joe's tortillas).

Tara

I make cute little ones. Either we fold them around a single little strip of chicken, or put choppy, gratey stuff in them. Sometimes I just lay them out on a plate and glop stuff on top of them, and eat it all with a knife and fork. It's all good, LOL!

And the reason I make those lovely little corn tortillas is that they just taste so so so good! There is no comparison with storebought ones. None. It's a bigger difference than store tomatoes and homegrown ones. Seriously.

I make flour tortillas on a comal. My grandma taught me how a long time ago -- I never measure anything. I don't mind rolling them out -- I have to have something to do while the tortilla is cooking, don't I?

I like the way the homemade tortillas get little brown spots on them. Commercially bought tortillas always seem kind of raw. I also like the added thickness of homemade tortillas.

It doesn't matter how many I make - even doubling or tripling the recipe they are gone by the next day. They are delicious and the ones purchased from the grocery cannot even compare. Best straight off the comal, piping hot. My kids stand near the range and grab them as I make them. My dream breakfast is fresh tortillas, fried eggs, green chile, bacon, pinto beans.

But they are not the most healthy food I can think of - lots of carbs. So I make them every few weeks or so, not all the time. They are my "survival food" fallback -- if we were to have a power outage I could still make them on the gas range.

As far as money savings, you can make them for a lot less than buying them. But they do take time so you need to factor that in. As far as taste, the difference is huge, kind of like comparing Godiva chocolate to Hershey's.

I made whole wheat ones about a month ago and we all LOVED them. "SO much better than from the store," the kids said. The rolling was the only part that got to me. I have ordered a cast iron tortilla press and am watching for the UPS man. Hopefully it will arrive today! I also will use it to press out my "skillet pizza crusts," but I'll let you know if it's worth it to have a press.