Menu

JAG or AG for my late blooming 7th grade son? Need to order today.

Stacie in UT

JAG or AG for my late blooming 7th grade son? Need to order today.

I have a 7th grader who is just plain a late bloomer. He has always, since birth, been behind about a year to a year and a half in maturity. We used Winston Grammar twice in the past three years, but he just keeps staring at my like a deer looking into your headlights. So, I've decided to put him into Analytical Grammar. I think it would go well with his style of learning. The teaching style works great for me, and it is very logical--good point for teaching a boy. I am just wondering if I should put him into the Junior Analytical Grammar first. It is written for 4th and 5th graders, so I wonder if it will seem babyish. He is very aware of the fact that he is "12" and wants us to realize that he is "grown up".

I've been using AG with my 9th grade son this year and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! He LOVES it. Asks for it first every day and refuses to take a break after Season 1. He says he would rather we did writing and continue with AG at the same time. Diagramming is now his favorite thing in the world of the English language.

Anyone who has used the Junior level and can give me some advice would be a blessing to me today. Do you think it would be appropriate for a younger 7th grader? My instinct is to buy it. I've got to order today and get us moving forward along the grammar path. His writing is suffering a bit do to a lack of grammar knowledge. Now that he is trying to writing more, is paying attention to his spelling, and cares to share his opinions, I just feel an urgency to make this decision.

Thank you ladies.

My ds has also always been behind. But after the first couple of excercises, he started getting consistant A's on his work. It was a great ego booster for him. But he wasn't getting A's because the content was too simple. (The sentences are still complex, just not as complex as in AG.) He was succeeding because of the logical way it's presented and the repetition. Ds also has a problem with paying attention to detail, yet he didn't with JAG. That's another mark of a well designed program.

Now JAG doesn't cover proper word selection and other more advanced things. But it does cover basic grammar upto compound verb, subject, obj of the preposition, etc very well. There was also one or two excercises that discusses a lower grade, but it didn't bother ds.

Go with JAG. I don't think you'll be sorry.

let it perculate for the rest of the year and start AG next year. We did the JAG in 11 weeks with no problems. It's currently perculating with the occasional request to diagram a sentence (usually a sentence with problems).

I'm planning on starting AG next year (8th grade, but ds'll be 14) as I was advised. Currently I'm planning on covering it in 2 years, but that's easily modified if my ds runs into problems.