Menu

Harry Potter Vocabulary Book for those Potter Fan kids..

CarolynD

I know I saw a thread where someone was wanting a writing curriculum based on Harry Potter. I'm not able to find it today. I wanted to share that I bought a Vocabulary book at Barnes and Nobles today. It's called "The Unofficial Harry Potter Vocabulary Builder". I thought I might take a break from Wordly Wise 4, after 1 whole week of using it :001_smile: and try this for a change. It has 3,000 hardest words from all seven books and references the page number and book that each word comes from. My girls are BIG Harry Potter fans. Hopefully this will get my 4th grader in the groove to learn some vocabulary and spelling!

Carolyn

Edited by CarolynD

If there are some other ideas, in regards to curriculum surrounding Harry Potter, that would be great!

Well, if you want to learn more about the mythology/folktales/etc... around which many things in HP are based, we found an awesome book: The Sorcerer's Companion. Most entries in the book are 1 to 3 pages long. We've had a great time reading an entry or two during lunch & discussing it. I think it's a great addition to your history or literature studies.

"From School Library Journal

Gr 4 Up-Anyone who thinks that grims, grindylows, hinkypunks, and hippogriffs were invented by J. K. Rowling will be surprised by this offering. Each of the 84 alphabetical entries describes a subject studied (arithmancy, divination), an object used (wand, cauldron), or a creature that appears in at least one of the Potter books, including a specific reference to the title, chapter, and page number. Then, using references from ancient, medieval, and modern literature, legend, mythology, and religion (almost 100 sources are listed in the extensive bibliography), each entry goes on to describe where, when, and how that subject, object, or creature has also been part of Western history, literature, or oral tradition. Most entries are from one to three pages long, with some notable exceptions-12 pages on magic and 14 on magicians throughout history. A fascinating history of the uses and abuses of medieval alchemy is buried within the article on the sorcerer's stone, but most subjects are easy to find. Sidebars highlight specific aspects in detail-the mummy's curse, alchemical frauds, animals on trial. More than half of the entries are illustrated with black-and-white drawings, woodcuts, or reproductions. The material is interesting and informative, easy to read, and fairly wide-ranging. The same readers who can't get enough of Harry Potter will enjoy learning about arithmancy, spell casting, and much more here, while waiting anxiously for the next Rowling novel to appear."

I know I saw a thread where someone was wanting a writing curriculum based on Harry Potter. I'm not able to find it today. I wanted to share that I bought a Vocabulary book at Barnes and Nobles today. It's called "The Unofficial Harry Potter Vocabulary Builder". I thought I might take a break from Wordly Wise 4, after 1 whole week of using it :001_smile: and try this for a change. It has 3,000 hardest words from all seven books and references the page number and book that each word comes from. My girls are BIG Harry Potter fans. Hopefully this will get my 4th grader in the groove to learn some vocabulary and spelling!

Carolyn

Ooo! I'm heading off to B&N tonight, and my girls are also huge fans - what section of the store is the book in? Is it right next to the Harry Potter books, or in another section?

Ooo! I'm heading off to B&N tonight, and my girls are also huge fans - what section of the store is the book in? Is it right next to the Harry Potter books, or in another section?

I found it in the Children's section in the back of the store with all of the other Harry Potter Books on a display table. I hope you find it!

Carolyn