Menu

Dd wants to learn homesteading, self sufficiency, living off the land...

Is there a curriculum like this out there or has anyone here prepared their own resources? Her goal is to one day live on a farm and/or have a wildlife rescue. She wants to be self-sufficient, learn to farm, cook, can, etc.

Is there a curriculum like this out there or has anyone here prepared their own resources? Her goal is to one day live on a farm and/or have a wildlife rescue. She wants to be self-sufficient, learn to farm, cook, can, etc.

I haven't seen this myself but came across it the other day. I have no idea what ages/grades it is meant for.

http://www.prepareandpray.com/detail.tpl?sku=1002

There are LOTS of great books on this topic. The late John Seymour was basically the grandaddy of the self-sufficiency movement in the 70s & 80s, and his books did a lot to popularize the movement and provide practical advice for those wanting to try self-sufficient living. Check out The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency, among others:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=self-sufficiency&x=0&y=0

Jackie

We used Prepare and Pray one year when my kids were younger. The curriculum is a year long, and says for any ages. It can really teach you a lot, like how to live off the land and build shelters... but I don't know that it will teach you "everything," like canning and farming. However, it can be a great starting point, and the books it suggests supplementing with *can* make it all-sufficient for that.

We really enjoyed it.

You might contact your local extension office. I believe every county has one. They are an extension of the state university and usually provide educational materials.

Our extension office offers Master Gardener and Master Composter classes and certifications. Ours also offers bee-keeping classes and small homestead information. We also have a certified 'Florida Yard' program that teaches people how to xeriscape their yards. I think the programs are free or very low cost.

ETA: I am planning to take some of these courses in another year or two when my youngest daughter is dual-enrolling for school.