Menu

At the risk of

inciting riot ;) , I'd like to make a couple of general comments. Maybe just one.

I'm finding it alarming that there's rather a lot of knee-jerk snark available when we discuss hot-button issues. Not that I'm here all that regularly, not that there wouldn't or shouldn't be plenty of emotion, passion, etc. when addressing Big Issues Which Hit Us Where We Live. People should absolutely be informed and have strong opinions which they can coherently defend (thus our presence on a classical ed board).

But.

Whether we find ourselves on the left, the right, or even lost in the middle of a particular minefield, making sweeping generalizations about the opposition, our leadership, news sources, and the like, puts us in a position to further marginalize those with whom we disagree. It allows us to make those people faceless, less than, and therefore to discount their opinions and circumstances without bothering to examine them. And when we see folks whose opinions we do not share as somehow not human, as entities to be feared, we tend to lose our collective grip on all sorts of other social niceties as well.

It's been bothering me. It seems to me that it misses the mark we're shooting for -- here especially, a place we come to hang with people who more than likely own at least a couple of different logic texts :rolleyes: and are teaching their kids formal Logic too.

As well, kudos seem in order to those amongst us able to consistently present their arguments well, with depth and breadth, and without rancor. Thank you -- I very much enjoy reading varied opinions.

"The tolerance taught by rhetoric involves the student's holding on to his own deep, well-reasoned convictions, while simultaneously treating others with respect. Respect doesn't mean admitting that someone else is right. It does mean refraining from resorting to abusive fallacies and the rhetoric of propaganda so that those of different faiths [political understandings] can seriously and peacefully argue about ideas."

--TWTM, pg 577, pp 6

Thanks for listening.

Love y'all.

:D

Whether we find ourselves on the left, the right, or even lost in the middle of a particular minefield, making sweeping generalizations about the opposition, our leadership, news sources, and the like, puts us in a position to further marginalize those with whom we disagree. It allows us to make those people faceless, less than, and therefore to discount their opinions and circumstances without bothering to examine them. And when we see folks whose opinions we do not share as somehow not human, as entities to be feared, we tend to lose our collective grip on all sorts of other social niceties as well.

:iagree::iagree:

This is why I find it rather frightening at times when I hear statements such as the bad government will always get it wrong and such. The government is after all made up of our fellow Americans and even sometimes family members who are not all corrupt. I certainly do believe that our government could be improved, but I also think think our government does get it right sometimes. I also find it frightening when some throw out that myths such as healthcare reform will lead to euthanasia and death panels and such as if any democrat or republican would ever support such a thing that would also put themselves and their loved ones at risk. I feel like some want to demonize the government, the political party that is not their own, and the media that is not of their liking. I think both democrats and republicans have things to bring to the table. I think that not every newsman is a liar. I have the good fortune to have a republican dad and a democratic mom and have learned to appreciate differing points of view and civil, rational discourse.

Just my 2 cents:).

I think both democrats and republicans have things to bring to the table. I think that not every newsman is a liar. I have the good fortune to have a republican dad and a democratic mom and have learned to appreciate differing points of view and civil, rational discourse.

Just my 2 cents:).

Bet that made for some interesting conversation around the dinner table, huh? ;)

I love the idea of such a personal experience with differing points of view. It's a lot of work, showing one's children how to love someone with whom you disagree. Hooray for your parents, Priscilla. Awesome.