Menu

Progressive Phonics - totally free phonics program

Satori

I found this through another forum today, anyone use it?

http://www.progressivephonics.com/

It looks very cool, and even though we're already using OPG with success, I was wondering if I should spend the time to check it out anyway. It looks colorful and fun. And it's completely free!

I think this has been linked here probably, but wanted to give it its own thread to help anyone else out. :)

We started OPGTR and hated it. Then I found this. We've worked through all 15 books and it was great. The readings were fun and it was set up well. It is very boy humor friendly. We did it along with ETC, but ECT was only back up. I had it for free, then had to download the last two books after the charge started. It was worth every penny. It helped make my son a great reader!

I'm using it with my son. We're actually doing the alphabet books because I realized had some problems with pronouciation. He LOVES them. Not even the BOB books come close. With the first letter sounds books a dog becomes best friends with his own backside - how can a boy NOT find that hilarious? :)

I usually print off the books and stick them in a binder. We read through them, make the letters with our fingers. When we've read them several times I print off the colouring and letter-making worksheets and we make them into real books with staples and construction paper covers. The colouring sheet gets glued on the cover and the words we make with the letter making worksheets become the title. I also make my own letter and word flashcards to supplement.

We've used BOB books and ETC and both fell sort of flat here. We got further with BOB but he really needed to review sounds letter by letter so PP is working out wonderfully.

I am printing everything out tonight, and so far, they teach all the phonics rules. I'm very pleased with how thorough they are, and all the different reinforcements included with the books (games, flashcards, puzzles)...

From their website:

"Many phonics programs quit after teaching long vowels and maybe a few silent letters. We include ALL varieties of vowels, ALL common silent letters, consonant AND vowel digraphs, plus important grammatical basics without which independent reading of English is impossible (punctuation, contractions, syllables, question words, plurals and possessives). "

They do teach a few common sight words, but that is ok with me, as long as all the phonics rules are emphasized first.

"Many common English words violate phonics rules (e.g. was, are, one, come, any, never, both, and many, many more), so it's important to know the rules and the rule-breakers."

Lesson samples:

• BEGINNER: Teaches short vowel "a" (hat, cat, am, etc.). Also teaches that “s†is sometimes pronounced as “z†(has, as, etc.), and the difference between “a†and “an.â€
  • INTERMEDIATE: Teaches the "th," "sh" and "ch" sounds. These are common sounds/spellings in the English language, and cannot be understood just by sounding out the individual letters.
  • INTERMEDIATE: Teaches the long vowel "o" (no, go, etc.) as well as two other sounds that the letter "o" makes (such as in the words boot and book). Also teaches the difference between to and too, plus the word you.
  • ADVANCED: Teaches the vowel combinations that include the letter Y: -ay (stay, day, etc.), -ey (they, hey, key), -uy (buy, guy), -oy (boy, toy), -oi (boil, coin) and -ye (eye, bye). Also teaches that the three most common spellings of the "ay" sound are -ay, -ai- and a-e.
  • ADVANCED: Introduces syllables; teaches how a "Y" at the end of a word can become a second syllable; teaches how to tell if the first vowel-sound is short or long; teaches common exceptions to the rules just taught.
  • MORE: http://progressivephonics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101:guide-advanced-books&catid=32:advanced-phonics-books&Itemid=11

Luckily, it is free, so you can check out for yourself!

I read somewhere that this program is based on Dolche words, and I backed far away.

:iagree:

I haven't used it, hadn't seen it until today.

Here's what they say about the Dolch sight words:

http://www.progressivephonics.com/%7Esuzettew/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=18:dolch-words&id=62:dolch-integration

It sounds like they try to teach most of them phonetically at least, here's how to teach them phonetically if they are teaching any of them by sight:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html