Menu

If your child was accepted into a GREAT college....

MistyJ

What was essential during the high school years? I do NOT want to start an argument about the value of different colleges. I just want to make sure that my son, now 7th grade, is given the right preparation so that if he chose an elite university, he would have a fighting chance.

If you have specific colleges in mind, you could check directly with them. Harvard has a good explanation of what they're looking for broken down subject by subject. You can read it here: http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/preparing/index.html

"We believe that you should prepare for college by mastering certain subjects and skills. You should demonstrate your proficiency in the areas described below by taking SAT II Subject Tests and Advanced Placement tests.

In summary, we recommend:

• the study of English for four years: close and extensive reading of the classics of the world's literature;
  • four years of a single foreign language;
  • the study of history for at least two, and preferably three years: American History, European History, and one additional advanced history course;
  • the study of mathematics for four years, including the particular topics described;
  • the study of science for four years: Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, and preferably one of these at an advanced level;
  • frequent practice in the writing of expository prose."

You might want to post this on the high school board, as you'll get lots of responses there. A lot of people I went to high school with went to "great" colleges. (It was just one of those schools where that was the norm.) They tended to be both academically superior, taking AP classes in multiple subjects, studying multiple foreign languages, etc., but also people with a strong sense of self, what they were interested in, and following their interests. I think that interest factor plays into it, because they bring something unique to the college community.

He will need stellar, and I do mean stellar SAT scores (above 700-750 for sure in each category, 800 in at least one probably), at least 3 SAT IIs, and preferably 5 APs with a score of 5.

Calculus and/or Calculus 2 would be also be recommended, even if he plans to enter a liberal arts field. Hard sciences with labs, preferably AP as mentioned by Elisa. If you can, start him in Biology with lab by 9th grade so that he can get through Chemistry and Physics in 10th & 11th grade, leaving 12th grade for an AP study of science in the field of his choice.

Work/research for or at a university prior to high school graduation would also be a good idea if possible. If he is a writer, published work would also be a plus. Any connections to the university he wants to attend, alumni recommendations, etc. will only help.

I hate to bring it up since I know it is a bit of a contention on this board, but my best friend was the only one she knew who hadn't taken Latin at her Ivy League college (she was however fluent in both Spanish and French), so based on that info I would say the equivalent of 4 years of high school Latin in addition to 4 years of another foreign language.

My kids aren't old enough to be in high school yet, but I am another one who went to a crazy-hard high school where most people went on to the Ivy League.

He will need stellar, and I do mean stellar SAT scores (above 700-750 for sure in each category, 800 in at least one probably), at least 3 SAT IIs, and preferably 5 APs with a score of 5.

Calculus and/or Calculus 2 would be also be recommended, even if he plans to enter a liberal arts field. Hard sciences with labs, preferably AP as mentioned by Elisa. If you can, start him in Biology with lab by 9th grade so that he can get through Chemistry and Physics in 10th & 11th grade, leaving 12th grade for an AP study of science in the field of his choice.

Work/research for or at a university prior to high school graduation would also be a good idea if possible. If he is a writer, published work would also be a plus. Any connections to the university he wants to attend, alumni recommendations, etc. will only help.

I hate to bring it up since I know it is a bit of a contention on this board, but my best friend was the only one she knew who hadn't taken Latin at her Ivy League college (she was however fluent in both Spanish and French), so based on that info I would say the equivalent of 4 years of high school Latin in addition to 4 years of another foreign language.

My kids aren't old enough to be in high school yet, but I am another one who went to a crazy-hard high school where most people went on to the Ivy League.

I agree with almost everything in this post, though I do not believe that a perfect 800 is required (but the scores need to be extremely high). I would also suggest a minimum of 5 high school foreign language credits in a single modern language.

ETA: I thought I would also mention that all SAT scores are sent whenever SAT scores are submitted. The College Board is now allowing selective scores to be sent, but many top tier schools are rejecting that option. The only exception are scores prior to high school.....you can request that they not be sent.

Score Choice, a new College Board program that will allow applicants to select the SAT scores they send to colleges, isn’t flying with the Stanford Office of Undergraduate Admission. The University has announced that it will not participate in the program and will continue to consider all of an applicant’s SAT scores.

Stanford is not the only school rejecting Score Choice. Though schools including Harvard and the University of Chicago have publicly accepted the policy, Stanford is joined by USC, Penn, Cornell and Pomona in continuing to require all SAT scores from their applicants.

Director of Admission Shawn Abbott told The Daily that Stanford will not accept Score Choice because it encourages students to “overdo” the SAT.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

People at my high school generally went to good or great colleges. Two of my classmates went to Harvard. One had a 1600 and the other had an 800 verbal and close to it on math. Another friend went to MIT - 800 math, over 700 verbal. They were all bright, articulate young women, full of passion for learning and their chosen fields. Yes, they had difficult course loads, high AP scores, and all of that. In the end, though, I think a student has to be one that you say "Wow, Harvard [or other school] is lucky to get him/her."