Menu

Oregon Coast Aquarium/Whistler, BC tips

Has anyone here been to the Oregon Coast Aquarium and have tips for a great trip?

We have been in OR for 4 years now and are finally wanting to travel somewhere other than California/Illinois.

We'd like to go to Newport and visit the aquarium and do whatever else is fun out there. Where to stay and what to do are eluding me.

Also, we'd like to get to Whistler, BC (before or after the Olympics...I am not one for crowds:) And really have no idea about the area.

So I appeal to this group, who always seems to have knowledge of every place, to share what you will with me.

Thank you!

Lise

We visited the Oregon Coast Aquarium in June and enjoyed it. Do not waste your money on the Undersea Gardens or whatever it is in Mariner's Square. My kids are still making fun of that place. It was terrible. We did the wax museum and Ripley's because it was part of a package. They were OK. Knowing what I know now, we could have taken a pass and not missed anything. Of course, we have visited the Ripley's in St. Augustine and spent a lot of time comparing, so YMMV.

There is something else near the Aquarium that I wish we would have done instead, but I can't remember what it is called now. I want to say a Marine Science center. We also visited the lighthouse. I enjoyed that, but the kids would have been happy to have a pass. :001_smile:

Oh, and it you go to the Olympics, our favorite place is Hurricane Ridge with the Hoh rainforest a close second. We stayed at a rinky dink hotel in Forks (this was before Twilight) that had a pool. That was a fun weekend. There is nothing in Forks, but it makes a good middle place to stay.

Edited by Tressa

I agree about going to the Oregon Coast Aquarium - and skipping the Undersea Gardens!

I've been to Whistler. We went in the winter. Lodging can be pretty expensive if it is a hotel. There are cabins for rent but they go very quickly. There is a whole culture of young people who work at Whistler to get money for their lift tickets so that they can ski or snowboard during every free moment they get! We got inexpensive lodging by going to one of those time share condos that require you to listen to a spiel afterwards to try and get you to buy into it.

The town of Whistler is beautiful - they light it up at night which is just so magical next to the snow. We found most of the dining to be more expensive than the very same restaurants (chains) elsewhere in Canada. We did find some hole in the wall places with good food that all the afore mentioned young people go to.

Many of the winter activities in Whistler were cost prohibitive for us. But skiing elsewhere would be prohibitive for us anyway. What we really, really enjoyed was going to the Meadow Park Sports Centre. It has a really neat pool with a lap pool as well as a wading pool with fountains and the like. You can get a family pass very inexpensively. In the same sports centre is a ice rink that my kids really enjoyed as well. They have these metal "walker" type things that kids can push in front of them if they are still learning to skate.

I know that there is hiking and camping in non-winter months but I don't have any experience with that.

There is something else near the Aquarium that I wish we would have done instead, but I can't remember what it is called now. I want to say a Marine Science center. We also visited the lighthouse. I enjoyed that, but the kids would have been happy to have a pass. :001_smile:

The Mark Hatfield Science Center is next to the Oregon Coast Aquarium; it is free and worth a look. The Oregon Coast Aquarium is a must see for us, but it usually takes a good part of the day to do thoroughly. The bayfront is a lot of fun. We always have to stop at Mo's (the original) for chowder. I agree Ripleys and the wax museum are cheesy, but I guess my kids are kind of cheesy cause they still love them. Nye Beach is also a fun place to visit. Last trip there dh and I found a hotel called the Sylvia Beach. I had to check that out, and yes it was named after Sylvia Beach who owned Shakespeare & Co. in Paris. We usually stay somewhere between Yachats and Waldport because it is less crowded and quieter than Newport. There's an 8 mi. stretch of beach between those two towns that is wonderful and never overly crowded. About 30 miles south is the Sea Lion Caves, also.

The Oregon Coast is my favorite place. We just got back from there a few days ago. Have fun.

Janet

We were just at the aquarium two weeks ago. Definitely worth a visit.

I second the poster who recommended Mo's. They have several locations--for more atmosphere (but longer lines) go to the original. Then you can stop at the candy store next door and get salt water taffy. They have an amazing selection of flavors and you can pick out your own assortment.

D (Dee?) Beach is our favorite. We missed low tide at the tidal pools at Yaquina. :confused:

D (Dee?) Beach is our favorite. We missed low tide at the tidal pools at Yaquina. :confused:

Oh, don't miss Yaquina Head Lighthouse. If anyone knows the move The Ring, this lighthouse was in it. Now it always leaves me feeling spooked.

Janet

My kids actually love the aquarium in Newport. Mo's is a must do, but everyone knows about it so the waits can be long sometimes. Rogue Ales is a fantastic brewery and pub for all ages. We tend to like Ona beach the best and agree with above posters that Waldport is a great place to stay and is less crowded with good beaches.

You can also see some spectacular sights like Devil's Punch Bowl, but follow the safety guidelines because it can be pretty dangerous if you get too close (I did know someone who was swept out to see there, but it was during a storm). Up the coast in Lincoln City are some fantastic outlet malls with great shopping! HTH!

Yes, eat at Mo's, but go early! It gets very crowded. We arrived at 11 a.m. and were seated quickly. By noon the line was out the door and down the sidewalk.

We like to go to the beach near the D River which is in Lincoln City. If I remember right, the water flowing from the river is warmer than the ocean. The kids get the beach atmosphere with warmer water to wade in.

Yaquina Head and Hatfield Marine Science Center are highlights. We were able to watch the octopus's feeding at our last visit.

Edited by PollyOR

We love Mo's. Mo's clam chowder and cheesy bread is always our first lunch when we visit. Our favorite past time is to go to Otter Rock (they have a Mo's right above devils punchbowl) and go down to the small beach on the right of Mo's. We always look for agates there. They have small caves to be explored when the tide is out and lots of tide pools.

We love the Hatfield center and visiting all the little shops at the water front in Newport. You can also catch a fishing trip from there too. Not sure if they do whale watching from that location.

Don't forget to eat at Flashbacks :)