Menu

"It's hard for boys to write"---I've let this go on waaaay too long.

yvonne

We've done copywork...off and on...

We've done dictation...of and on...

He does write narrations from History.

He can write decent enough...his narrations are actually more of a "report" on the section he read...he usually writes at least a page...so he's really not doing narrations in the true sense.

Would it be beneficial to get the WWE book and just work from that at his level? Meaning take from the book what would be appropriate for his age, not use the workbooks as those are intended for younger kids???

I also have another book on outlining and one on how to write a paragraph.

What exactly is the problem with his writing?

Is he writing his narrations on his own? Do they summarize what he is reading (I'm picturing that he is reading a whole book and writing a page of summary, which is really impressing me:D)? If so, then you might not need WWE. WWE gives practice in copywork/dictation and narration, so that in the end, a child can read a chapter or two and write his own short summary of it, fiction or non-fiction. If he's able to do that, maybe just move on to different techniques for writing paragraphs (using his narrations to practice this) and learning to outline non-fiction, then rewriting from outlines?

hth

I guess there really is no BIG problem...

I think it is probably more me not finding something to teach from.

Writing Strands, imo, is a little random. It doesn't follow what I would consider a methodical order. I can never seem to piece the bits of each lesson together. My son felt the same way. I have the whole series...what a waste.

IEW is orderly, but gosh, I don't seem to be able to watch all those dvd's...I started zoning out, eyes glazed over...luckily, I was able to return this.

WriteShop, which I am considering for fall, is more orderly and I like the presentation, but I'm not at all sure about those checklists, which is a big part of this program...can't return this one...what a waste.

I am very drawn to the simpler style presented in Evan-Moor sourcebook/workbook, and the Teacher Created Resources sourcebook/workbook. It's short, to the point info that doesn't take forever and a day to incorporate. HMMMM...

Like I said...I think it's more me than anything...I just seem to have trouble presenting the info to my son and following through and REALLY making him do the writing, revising, etc. He doesn't like it AT ALL!!! So...we've done summaries for the past couple of years, an occasional research type paper, a book report here and there, etc.

I am thinking about the "ducks" method. We might just need to do this and then move into our WriteShop later on. Maybe work through those workbooks for an introduction...

I just don't know.

Thanks,

Robin.............sorry for rambling, obviously, I don't have trouble putting thoughts to paper!!!

IEW is orderly, but gosh, I don't seem to be able to watch all those dvd's...I started zoning out, eyes glazed over...luckily, I was able to return this.

Robin I also had trouble with those blasted DVDs I was ready to give up on IEW even though I loved the concept. What saved me were the history based writing lessons. They are open and go for me and Noah and my eyes no longer glaze over, lol!!!

The way it works is I introduce the new lesson. He does the necessary reading and we brainstorm, discuss, and outline on a dry erase board together. From there my son copies and/or tweeks the outline to suits his needs. He narrates back to me in his own words using his outline for a guide. He then goes off to create his first draft. I grade his assignment based on the rough draft check sheet. We discuss how things could have been done better and/or what was missing and he is off again to edit/revise and bring me another draft. He keeps doing it until I'm satisfied. When we get to that point he types up his final draft on the computer, labels everything, adds a picture, and attaches the final draft check sheet for me to grade by.

Granted your son is younger and will probably need a lot more hand holding and instruction but you can still use the basic steps I outlined to get you through each lesson!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Robin, take a look at Jump In. You can see a full sample chapter on Apologia's website, but all the major distributors carry it. No DVD watching required, it's orderly & goes into several different writing formats. Looks incremental, orderly, yet creative in the approach too. You might like it.

Merry :-)