Menu

What did you send with your freshman...

Brenda in MA

in the way of dress clothes? Ds and I are wondering if he should bring his button down shirt, tie, and blazer to school his first year or whether a couple of nice polo shirts and khakis would do the trick?

I understand that an upperclassman would need dress clothes for interviews -- anyone's child need dress clothes their freshman year?

Brenda

It depends on the school.

Dh and I went to an engineering school. Other than his fraternity's formal, we could have worn jeans all four years.

Dd and ds are going to a LAC that seems to specialize in formal. The guys are expected to wear blazers and ties to many of the freshmen meetings during orientation week and periodically throughout the year. I think ds may wear out his blazer by the time he graduates!

If your son isn't planning on joining a fraternity, I wouldn't worry about dress clothes. And you can always shop for them over Thanksgiving if he finds out that he does need some.

The list sent by my son's university reminds them to bring semi-formal clothing. There is a dance in the first week for incoming freshman that is semi-formal, and possibly more events throughout the year. He will be bringing a suit, dress shirts, ties and a pair of good shoes.

Edited by Janet in Toronto

My sons' have great legs maybe I should suggest kilts to them. When ya got it flaunt it right?

When my younger son comes home again we're going to get him fitted for a suit for formals and new dress shoes. He's a tie-a-holic so I try to keep him away from the tie tables. It's like an illness.